View Single Post
Old 06-28-2003, 04:29 AM   #33
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Interesting thread!
I think I'll have to agree with most of the points everyone has raised. I absolutley adore Sean Bean's Boromir, he changed my perception of Boromir, and now he's one of my favorite charaters.
I don't think anyone has said anything about Ian Holm. To me, he was a perfect Bilbo. He *is* Bilbo, in my head.
As for Galadriel, I don't think it was Cate's acting, I think it was the whole atmosphere of Lothlorien (the scenery and the music) that made it creepy for me. It was sort of dark, not golden and light as I imagined it.
Sometimes I think Elijah was good as Frodo, and sometimes I don't. For some reason, in TTT he really annoyed me. Just some of his lines that he delivered didn't sound right to me. In FotR I thought he was good some of the time. At the very end at Amon Hen I thought he was pretty good, and his screams of pain when he was being stabbed were pretty cool. But I still think he looked a bit too young.
Ian McKellen was great, as was Christopher Lee. Two brilliant wizards!
The rest of the hobbits did a good job. Sean Astin did a great Sam, loyal, brave yet humorus. Although Pippin was sometimes portrayed as a bit of an idiot (getting hit by the apple, for instance in the EE) I think Billy Boyd did well. Although Merry could have had some more lines and been slightly more individual I think he was portrayed nicely. I prefer book-Merry, he has some good lines "Did you find them in your duck pond?" Book-Merry had more of a character, I thought.
Well, I've probably strayed from the original topic of this thread, but never mind!