View Single Post
Old 03-10-2002, 07:34 PM   #72
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

Dang! That'll teach me to be away from the boards for a whole day! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

I'm afraid my horrible schedule is coming back to bite me in the butt again so, all sophistry aside, I'm going to say what I really think about the whole thing, and skip my little spiel about how just because two characters in the story say something that contradicts with another character that doesn't mean that one text should be favored over another. As Tolkien himself said there is a difference between characters in the story and his knowledge as subcreator. (Although I know there will be argument over that too...)

Balrogs are definitely Maiar.
Dragons are possibly Maiar, possibly not, but in any case are of a lower order than Balrogs.
I am still not convinced that Balrogs would have such an overwhealming spiritual advantage over Dragons, some yes, but not overwhealming.
Dragons are better at fighing than Balrogs, but are more easily destroyed.

In all honesty, I think that the best thing that can be said is that's probably too close to call.

And, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

I do kinda like that theory about Dragons being the offspring of Balrogs and giant serpents though. Well, like as in appreciate it's merit not like as in..., well you know what I mean. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Since, Dragons do seem to possess a higher order of intelligence and power than any spirit of any beast, I think that I would have been a bit more than mearly a perverted beast.

[ March 10, 2002: Message edited by: Kuruharan ]

[ March 12, 2002: Message edited by: Kuruharan ]