View Single Post
Old 03-07-2002, 05:03 PM   #55
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Even if the spirit that inhabits a Dragon is a Maia it did not construct its own Hroa (body) and has become completely trapped on the physical plain. On the other hand Balrogs created their own Hroa and seem to be able to manipulate their form, at least to some extent. The manner in which the Balrogs are described also lends credence to the assumption that they are still deeply connected to the magical or spiritual realm. As for what I mean by the duel between Fingolofin and Melkor I mean that Fingolofin could never have destroyed Melkor's physical form, even if he had stabbed him 100 times. The reason Glorfindel's helmut spike was able to kill Gothmog was because Gothmog was defeated on a spiritual level first. In all of the instances where a Balrog was killed I contend that the Balrog must have been defeated on a spiritual level first. Gandalf's quote supports this theory, Swords are no more use here. Because of this there is no way that a stray arrow would have been able to kill a Balrog. On the other hand Dragons clearly do not need to be defeated on the spiritual level to be defeated. The manner in which the Dragons are described is always physically terrifying; the description of Durin's bane is very different. As I've stated before in all of the major duels Tolkien spends practically no time describing the physical battle. This is not because Tolkien couldn't or because there is less to describe, Tolkien was certainly capable of creating a vivid description of a physical duel, it was because he chose not to. I'm curious to know if you would put the Dragons above Sauron or even Melkor (in his reduced state) simply because the Dragons are much larger and physically impressive Kuruharan?
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote