View Single Post
Old 11-19-2002, 04:36 AM   #4
tom bombariffic
Wight

tom bombariffic has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I would have said that The sinking of Numenor would have been written like that for 1 of 3 reasons:

a) Maybe it was because, although Eru's children rejected him and he was willing to drown them, it still brought a great pain to him to have to drown them, and of course to remember the reason why he was drowning them : they didnt believe in him. Sure, he wanted them gone, but surely that dosen't mean he wasn't upset about doing it?

b)Perhaps It was written like that because a lot of the drowned were just jumping on the bandwagon: it started with a few non-believers, then most of the population were caught up in it, pressured into not believing. It could have been that most of these people were dying because they had got caught up in the frenzy, and not because they were truly evil. That could be why it is written so sadly.

c) by far the least structured of my reasons, it could be to mirror the "noah's ark" story. We know that the bible is mirrored a lot in the silm, and I think (although Im not certain) that the Noah's ark story is written somewhat sadly, even though it was the right thing to do. Not sure about this one, just a speculation really.

I personally believe in the 1st reason, but then who knows? If anyone has any reasons of their own or comments on my reasoning, I'd be happy to hear them...

Bombariffic