Thread: happy elves
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2002, 06:18 PM   #20
Arwen Melian
Wight

Location: Sometimes Imladris....sometimes Mirkwood...other times ....Lothlorien
Arwen Melian has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Okay, well I have a theory of my own(that I conjured up with your help and opinions.)Maybe Tolkien created LOTR differently from The Hobbit because he wanted people to grow with the story ( even though he had no idea he would be making a sequel at the time he made The Hobbit.)He must have realized this when developing LOTR: The Hobbit was meant for children,
and children grow up. Therefore, Tolkien realized that since the reader is not a child any more, he /she would be more likely to read an adult novel. So it all comes down to this: Tolkien portrayed elves in a different way ( in The Hobbit) because it was a children's story. However, he changed the elves in LOTR because the readers were mostly adults. We can actually relate ourselves to the elves (the change of them from the Hobbit to LOTR) because we were all once very young and naive; happy and uncaring about the troubles of the world. Then, we became older (we grew with Tolkien's elves,)
becoming wiser and more open too the world (you see the elves changed when he made the Silmirillion and LOTR ,I guess he never pictured them as becoming more than happy tall fairy people; turning into angelic potentally dangerous immortals)Any opinions?
Arwen Melian is offline   Reply With Quote