View Single Post
Old 03-04-2003, 09:23 AM   #34
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

The will of Eru has been brought up, and I believe this is tied closely with the initial temptation of the Noldor.

I can't remember the exact quote, but when Melkor is released and sets out to destroy the elves, the Silmarillion clearly states that all his energy was directed at the Noldor. As for the reason, it had to do with the nature of personal satisfaction.

The Vanyar found their contentment and satisfaction at the feet of the Valar, where as the Noldor found theirs in learning and delving into new things. This is a huge difference in character, and was not the choice of the Noldor and Vanyar, but the nature that was given to them by Eru.

Now, this difference is why the Noldor were corrupted. Melkor couldn't corrupt the Vanyar, because they were satisfied serving the Valar. He didn't have anything to tempt them with. But, the Noldor existed to create and pursue knowledge, two things that Melkor could help them with considerably.

They were created in such a way that the precise thing they loved would be the exact thing that Melkor could offer.

Why would this situation be allowed to happen? Because the rebellion of the Noldor was supposed to happen. It had to happen.

Not only were they "playing their part", but the nature in which they were created would have hardly allowed for anything else.

This is one reason why I don't believe these two races can be compared on a basis of deeds and accomplishments. Both were playing their parts in the history of middle earth.

[ March 04, 2003: Message edited by: the phantom ]