View Single Post
Old 02-13-2003, 11:34 PM   #39
Fain Clawmirth

Silmaril

Grounds-Keeper-Willie wrote:
Quote:
It was Gollum's addiction to the ring that was resisting the conversion of Gollum to 'the good side'. And although it resisted the change, I believe that Gollum would have changed if it weren't for Sam. I'm speaking mainly of the chapter The Stairs of Cirith Ungol. I think that was the turning point in the struggle with Gollum, and Sam tipped the balance for the dark Gollum; that was the final nail in the coffin. It wasn't his ignorance.
You know, I came across this very point in one of Tolkien's letters after my last post. (So, of course, it's a very good one! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ) I do think if Sam had been kinder to Gollum, well, actually Smeagol, things might have been different. Or would they? heehee If addiction is the key, pivotal point, then, no. The influence of Frodo's kindness would have faded away, especially in such close proximity to the Ring, and even more especially when the Ring was SOOOOO close to its home power base.

Gollum was a classic Greek tragic figure--his actions doomed him from the start by setting off the natural consequences of trying to usurp God's/Iluvatar's place (the taking of Deagol's life). The addiction to the Ring just sealed the deal.

Regarding greed vs. fear (or the chicken and the egg question). This is another outstanding dialogue and I hope it continues awhile longer!

Greed is the reaction to a perceived lack. How could you want something if you already had it? And what is the source of this reaction to a perceived lack? Why not just say, "aw, well--I can do without that," or "It's not that important." Why not have the feeling of peaceful disinterest? Because one becomes fearful of what will happen if a desire is not fulfilled.

Fear is usually thought of as what happens when a bus or monster or terrorist is bearing down on you at 90 miles per hour. It is this and much, much more. It is a primitive, fundamental state of mind. It's what accounts for the physical reactions or sensations that accompany greed or any other product of fear--heart rate, hypersensitivity of the senses, etc. In other words, greed and the other deadly "sins" would not have their destructive power without their source--fear.

LOTR/Silmarillion are illustrations of our relationship to God/Iluvatar/Love. We are either moving toward it, are for it, and willing to surrender ourselves to it in trust that no matter what happens and no matter how hopeless, things will be all right (Frodo, Sam, the Fellowship). Or, we are moving away from it, are against it, and unwilling to surrender anything because we have no trust--we are afraid. We are afraid because we have chosen to separate (or believe separation is possible) from God.

I suppose in a sense the definition of greed might be stretched to include what created fear. Tolkien's letters and several quotes tell that one of the basic tenets in LOTR/Silmarillion is what happens when one chooses/desires to create like God. This desire to be God is similar in nature to greed. So, in that sense, your argument is correct. But I think it is more akin to pride. Jeepers, are we on the verge of another thread here? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Or ... maybe it is simply evil doing its job. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Where is Udun (Hell) located? In Mordor, of course. What is Mordor but the epitome, the absolute monument to and center of fear?

And on that note, I send my brothers and sisters peace amid the insanity of the world.