View Single Post
Old 02-27-2002, 05:37 PM   #112
Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Bombadil
Sting

This thread has really taken a magnificent turn. After my previous posts I've been content to just read and thoroughly enjoy myself.

Noncon, I'll say again what I've said a couple of times already. If to you the Ring represents sin, or evil, or badness, or green popsicles or whatever, I salute you for your interpretation and think it's wonderful that you find that meaning in LOTR. But, as I and others have said, it's important to recognize the difference between your personal interpretation and Tolkien's conscious intent. I believe Tolkien encoded no religious message in LOTR, and many here have echoed those sentiments. I further maintain that the evidence in the book itself and in Tolkien's writings overwhelmingly support my position.

But whatever meaning you personally might find is your business. And, I thank you for sharing it with me! I might never find such meaning in LOTR, but it's fun to hear other perspectives.