View Single Post
Old 06-20-2002, 09:35 PM   #45
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Sting

This is a wonderful thread! Thanks for all the great info and points everyone!

I agree that the Flame of Anor is the Flame Imperishable. It makes perfect sense. Melkor, the greatest of the Valar, desired to posess it because he wanted to be God (or Eru, in this case) and shape the universe according to his will. He was, of course, unsuccessful in his search for this Fire of Creation, and that maybe have greatly spurred his arrogance and rebellion, thinking that since he was the greatest Vala, he should rightfully posess the Flame.

I believe that the Flame can also be symbolic as well as literal. By the will of Ilúvatar, all evil is turned to good in the end, and he is pure good, through and through. By declaring that he is a servant of it, Gandalf is indeed saying that he faithfully serves Eru, and works solely for the good of the universe. The Flame of Anor, the Flame Imperishable,the fire of creation could represent what is light, or all existing goodness. Ilúvatar sent the Istari to help Middle Earth in the most desperate, urgent time of need, and it makes sense that they would swear allegiance to him (Ilúvatar) as well as swear allegiance that they were fighting for the good, light side; they were fighting to defeat darkness in order for good (which was Eru's will) to prevail.

I know that this may sound really crazy, but maybe when Gandalf said "The dark fire shall not avail you, Flame of Undűn, he meant that the Flame Imperishible is dark in that it is very powerful and good and it will overcome the evil of Melkor and all his devices. I don't know. It's just a thought- just my personal interpretation.

[ June 20, 2002: Message edited by: Jessica Jade ]

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain