View Single Post
Old 02-25-2003, 08:09 PM   #7
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

I have always had this notion that Hobbits have a unique ability to resist the Ring longer than the other races. I am not sure whether there is any justification for this in the books, but I have a feeling that I picked it up from somewhere. Maybe it is simply their innocence and blissful insularity that makes them good candidates.

So, on this basis, I would nominate any of the other Hobbits, although Pippin might have been a somewhat dangerous choice, given his predeliction for getting himself into trouble [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] .

Next up would be Gimli. As Adanadhel noted, Dwarves were resistant to the power of the seven rings. And it is surely underestimating his devotion to the Fellowship to think that he might have become distracted from the task in hand (any more than any of the others).

But, the problem is that none of them could have done it alone. And I doubt that any of the other members of the Fellowship would have had the same devotion to whoever bore the Ring that Sam had to Frodo. And it was really Sam's devotion to him that got Frodo to Mount Doom.

So, in the end, it had to be Frodo and Sam. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]