View Single Post
Old 11-11-2002, 06:38 PM   #263
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I agree with many of the thing the other posters said: larger groups (7-9 mentees per mentor), fewer groups, more interaction between those groups which do exist, a straightforward storyline so that a poster can follow all the permutations of the plot.

Let me just say this was also a learning experience for me. Next time, I would have done certain things differently. Here are examples.

1. If any mentor does what I did--take three posters and come up with two initial subplots--please have him/her go jump in the lake! This was a definite error on my part. If our storyline had limitations, I deserve some blame for setting up this impossible situation! Next time I would keep it simple.

2. I've never before played an RPG which had a time limit. This posed certain challenges of timing. For example, if a particular territory is to be covered in the RPG, have the group initially set up one or two guidelines as to where they should be at a certain point. E.g., at the 25-day mark, the team should be at a particular location which is half way. This doesn't have to be slavishly followed, but it will help get us to the end point on time.

3. It seemed to me that having so many posters involved in a single game tended to slow down and even close other games on the board, at least temporarily. Is this a problem? Should we be concerned about this? Or is it a natural and positive outcome of having so many posters involved in a single large project? I don't have any answers or preferences here, but it's at least worth thinking about before we decide how "large" the next mentored game should be, i.e. how many posters would be involved at a given time.

Nominations: Finally, a huge thank you to my two posters who stuck out the course, and who bore with me when my ISP came unglued for 10 days. Maril deserves an award for excellence in writing, and Alkanoonion should get "best of game for improvisation and creativity" when he was stuck in Pelargir day-after-day with my internet service down and our storyline frozen. He creatively took us on a very funny tour of every tavern in the city!

sharon

[ November 11, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]