View Single Post
Old 11-11-2002, 11:12 AM   #452
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

*****Rivendell*****

All the companions who had traveled together from Rivendell walked up the roads of the city, meeting each other as they went. Looking around him, Elladan was suddenly startled by the size of a group that they made.

He was further startled to find that there, on the edge of it, were Orodan and Nefros. His brother had noticed already and was studiously and sulkily looking away. Nefros was watching them with a slightly anxious expression on his face. Elladan considered.

They were reaching the top of the hill, and the maginficent tower was just becoming visible ahead of them, when out of the corner of his eye, Elladan caught sight of someone sitting calmly outside one of the houses, conversing with a grim-looking Gondorian woman and watching the people pass.

Arwen? He nudged Elrohir slightly. It was certainly her, though her face had changed entirely. The restless distance that had characterized her expression for so long had disappeared, and there was a look on her face of calm joy that stopped him entirely.

The difference was real. She was sundered from them, truly and definitively. Elladan stood frozen and staring for a moment, half-fighting the realization, half-reminding himself that, after all, he had never seen her seem so happy. Elrohir stood as quiet and as still.

She called to them, and they moved away from the group (which had slowed its disorganized forward movement in confusion) and toward her.

They did not know what to say, and they were surprised to find the others coming closer as well, though maintaining a respectful distance. They had never seen her before, but it was clear that she was not an ordinary person. The Gondorian woman watched them, sharply and silently.

Orodan and Nefros were near the front of the crowd, having decided amongst themselve that she must be the Queen. Like most of the others, they were contriving a rather awkward species of group bow. Elrohir looked at them, suddenly abashed. Arwen laughed slightly, and he threw them a sudden smile that was almost an apology.

She inclined her head at them, with a smile. "It is good to see you," she said, in her clear voice, "all of you." But she looked at her brothers. "The Audience is soon, and I wished to see all the races on their road to peace. A hard road, but a worthy one. Are you not near to being late?"

"For what cause could we better be late?" asked somebody (nobody afterward was ever sure who).

She laughed again. "Certainly, I will see all of you after the Audience, and we will talk. Especially you, my brothers. But do not be late!"

She waved them off, and off they went.
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum