View Single Post
Old 10-24-2002, 09:46 PM   #329
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

***** DALE - Jarl *****

They had found the two young men not far into their search in the mountained area. Jarl and Gramil had seen the smoke of a campfire. When they dismounted a distance away from it, and had crept up on its source, they thought that Ethar and Garlin had been taken hostage.

Ethar lay still by the fire, and Garlin sat next to him, his head hanging down. Two unknown, armed men moved about the camp, speaking a language Jarl did not recognize.

He and Gramil reached for their weapons. Jarl had knocked an arrow and pulled back his bow, while Gramil drew out his blade. They advanced upon the two armed men, gesturing for them to lay down their weapons or be killed.

There was a fierce look in both the strangers' eyes and it seemed as if they might fight the approaching two to the death, if necessary.

Garlin called out to Jarl. 'Stop! These men have been helping Garlin and I get back to you. They were being held hostage by brigands, and it was when we tried to free them that Ethar caught the knife in his leg.'

Gramil had been listening to the exchange of words between the two strangers. A surprised look filled his face. He sheathed his weapon and bade Jarl put his bow away. Then he tried a few phrases on the one who appeared to be the leader.

It was now the stranger's turn to be surprised. He answered in turn, while both he and his companion sheathed their blades.

Jarl turned to Gramil, a questioning look on his face. 'They're from Nurn!' said Gramil, studying the leader closely. Jarl's eyes narrowed and looked the pair over, too. 'From Nurn. What an interesting concidence.'

It had been a grim week's journey. The knife wound in Ethar's left calf had started to swell and fester. It had been so tender when they first found him that he had been unable to walk on it, and now he was starting to have chills.

'Fever will soon follow.' said Jarl, quietly to Gramil. 'We have got to take him to someone who can deal with this. it needs draining and poultices, and he needs a good, long rest.'

Ethar was seated, for today's journey, in front Jarl on the oliphaunt. Jarl held the young man securely against him. He was so weak, and now the fever was starting to rise. Soon both men would be drenched from it.

Gramil poured some water on a small scarf and handed it to Jarl. He placed it over the top of Ethar's head. The water would evaporate in the heat of the sun and the moist vapors would bring some measure of relief to the fevered young man.

'We'll be in Pelargir late tonight.' he told Jarl. We can get some rooms and I'll go for the herbalist. I know one there. He used to travel with the armies in his younger days. He will know exactly what to do for him.'

Al-Gareth and his companion, Al-Hafir, had joined the journey west on the invitation of Gramil. They rode on Ethar's oliphaunt, speaking only when spoken to - though often they could be heard speaking softly to one another, just low enough that Gramil could not make out the meaning.

He had the opportunity to study them intently as they rode along on this long journey. It was an interesting fact that the interaction between the two, though they were of similar age, was not one of companions on an equal footing. Rather, Al-Hafir was always deferential to the other man. And Al-Gareth, Gramil noted, always initiated the dialog. 'An interesting pair.' he thought to himself.

By night fall, they had entered into the city. They were all bone tired, even the oliphaunts who had been pushed to their limits. Gramil took them to a place he had used before - The King's Inn. There was a place to quarter their mounts, and a suite of rooms on the second floor that would accomodate the entire party.

The innkeeper quoted a price to Gramil, who opened his mouth to bargain for the rooms. Wearily, Jarl put a hand on his arm and shook his head 'no'.

Gramil smiled and pointed at Jarl. 'My friend here will be paying. Name the price and show us to the rooms quickly.'

The innkeeper grinned, his eyes flashing in anticipation. Sighing loudly, Jarl pulled out his pouch.

[ October 27, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]