View Single Post
Old 10-20-2002, 12:19 PM   #296
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

***** DALE - Jarl *****

' . . . to keep innocence - and the ability to flinch. I envy you that, Jarl of Dale, for all that it is hard for me to imagine now what a happy life you must have lived.'

Jarl's eyes were hooded, and he said nothing in return. He recalled his time spent at the side of the King in Erebor during the War. Dale had been overrun by Sauron's troops from the East, its army defeated. The citizenry had taken refuge with their allies, the Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain, and fought against the besieging Easterlings. It had been a bloody war, and many of his friends had died cruelly at the hands of the Dark Lord's minions.

'Let Gramil keep his innocence and his stories if he must.' he thought to himself. He drew his bow and quiver of arrows from behind him. The oliphaunts rolled along, great ships sailing slowy through the trees.

He inspected the tips of each arrow and looked carefully at his bow string. Then sitting back, he recalled the lessons a certain Mumak warrior he had befriended after the War had given him, on the advantages of positioning one's self atop the oliphaunt to shoot downward at one's foes.

The trumpeting of the oliphaunts took him by surprise. 'How interesting!' he thought to himself. 'So much for any stealth on our part. Everyone should now know where we are.' He leaned back in his saddle and urged his mount on at a faster pace. Gramil did not appear especially worried. May as well follow his lead, he thought.

[ October 20, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]