View Single Post
Old 10-20-2002, 10:46 AM   #295
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

***** DALE - Inkeeper *****

Bram loosed his grip on the cudgel, and laid both his hands on the bar. He watched as the young lordling dismissed him with a smile. He shook his head. 'His father was naught like this as a young man.' he thought to himself. 'Perhaps the young cub needs a lesson.'

Girion strode to the table where some of the locals had gathered and were discussing the uncommonly nice weather and the benefits of late plantings. One of them had just brought up a problem concerning his pregnant goat when Girion addressed him.

'I wish to hire a small ship to transport myself and my friends downriver. Have you one available, or do you know from whom we might get a boat?' He stood there, waiting, an impatient air about him.

'A boat, you say.' said one of them, turning a rheumy eye on the prince. 'Berel has a goat if you're wanting it, but no boat to my knowledge.' He laughed at Girion's discomfiture. 'Any of the rest of you have a boat this princeling might commandeer?'

They all looked at the now red-faced Girion. Then one of them pointed toward Bram, who stood behind the bar watching the interchange. 'If it truly is a boat you want, and not the proffered goat - then it's him you should be asking about it.'

Girion walked to the bar and made as if to speak. But Bram had made himself busy with his other customers, now. He had tapped a keg of Dwarven spirits and served up a small tot to Stonehelm that he might pass judgement on its quality.

Stonehelm caught Bram's eye and nodded almost imperceptibly toward Girion, his eyes twinkling. He downed the spirits, and slammed the glass down on the bar top. 'Comes of a fine making, I can tell you that.' he said, running his finger around the rim of the glass. 'But it's young still, needs aging to bring out its full character. A few more years will temper that overbearing taste it now has, don't you think?'

Bram took the glass from Stonehelm and wiped at the small ring it had left on the surface of the wood with his rag. He heard Girion clear his throat to draw his attention. Bram looked up and casually regarded him, taking him in in full measure.

'So, Dalesman, what is it you need of me?'

[ October 20, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]