View Single Post
Old 09-30-2002, 02:14 PM   #93
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

***** DALE-Jarl *****

The tedium of the evening had already set in. Jarl stifled a small yawn, covering it with a small sip of wine. On his left sat a richly dressed gentleman, already well into his cups. He had listened politely, a look of feigned interest on his face, as the man told him of his family's interests in the spice trade. It was a long, complex story, fueled by several glasses of wine, the intent of which was to feel out any interest Dale might have for trade agreements with the family.

This must have cost your family handsomely! thought Jarl. The information he had gotten placed this particular family near the bottom tier in spice trade. But I will give you points for a bold move to position your interests in their best light. The man had stopped talking, and Jarl roused himself from his speculation. 'A very interesting story, and an inviting proposition,' he rejoined. 'Dale had not thought to seek contacts in the spice trade at this time, but I should like to present your offer to the King for his consideration when I return. If I might, I would like something written from you, a plan that I might share with him. Would it be possible for you or someone from your family to drop round . . . say, in three days time with such a proposal? We will get back to you directly, once the King has seen it.'

Jarl motioned for the serving man to pour another glass of wine for his neighbor. The man beamed, and nodded a drunken smile, saying he would bring the document, himself. Jarl made his excuses, then, saying he had seen an old acquaintance across the room. He left the table and crossed the room, stopping to exchange some pleasantries with a guest. He clapped the man on the back, much to the man's surprise, then exited the hall to walk in the garden.

He had been sitting on the stone bench near the fountain, watching the large, gold fish swim in its basin, when someone drew near. Another guest, in the requisite gaudy tunic, he thought to himself. He turned back to his perusal of the fish.

[ September 30, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]