View Single Post
Old 09-24-2002, 12:20 PM   #11
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

===== Blue Mountains =====

There were days when it just wasn’t any fun to be the king. This was one of them.

Theron IV Axehand, appointed leader of the Dwarves of the Ered Luin, looked with disgust on the debacle that had become of the “council” he had called to decide how to respond to the summons of Elessar Telcontar, calling himself King of all Gondor and Arnor. Nothing remained of order in the torchlit stone hall, and several of the assembled had “stepped outside” to settle private arguments. He arose and stood, all 4-feet-8-inches of him, at his head of the table and thundered an order for silence. The rest of the attendees all froze where they stood, one with his hands nearly around the throat of another.

“I have NEVER witnessed the council devolve into such chaos. One might think that I was presiding over a council of ORCS!!!” This was met with muttering and growls from those in the room, but they grudgingly took their seats. No one had ever bested Axehand in battle, real or mock, and no one felt inclined to challenge him now. “Am I the only one who can hear the arguments of both sides in this debate without calling for my blade?”

Serin Stonewright, well-respected though still considered a “young dog” by dwarven standards, arose and addressed the room. “My lord Axehand, I am not one who has travelled widely outside our realm. And yet I and many like me can see our people growing restless, our culture beginning to stagnate. I know the arguemnts of those who would largely close us off and insulate us from the rest of Middle Earth. We do have a good life here, but we cannot shut out the world forever. And if we do, who is to say that one day an evil like Sauron’s will not rise to threaten us, much closer to our homes? Our great cities were thrown down as nothing in the breaking of the fortress of the Melkor the evil one...”

At this point, one of the others jumped up on his chair and interrupted. “Yes, and what did we get for it? what have the outsiders’ realms done for us? We do not forget our kin who were slain when we claimed our own, the Nauglamir of old, slain by those tomfool elves! And did the men help us out? I say let them buy our weapons and slay each other, and take no notice safe here in our halls of stone!” There was a rumble, half approving and half catcalls, that rose and threatened to break out again into fighting except for the cold-mithril countenance of Axehand at the head of the table.

When the room had become silent again, Theron Axehand said, “Enough debate. Since we cannot decide among ourselves, let us send one from each side, along with myself, to this great council. We will each make our cases before the High King. We will seek his leave to determine our own directions. You Serin, will make the case for greater openness, and you Mikhelm Bonecrist will argue for our freedom from interference. As your ruler, I will decide between them, and seek the favor of the king to allow us self-rule.” There was grudging consent from both sides, and the dwarf-council was dismissed.

Two days later, the delegates were preparing to set out...