View Single Post
Old 05-28-2003, 12:01 AM   #408
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

As the cart wound its way through the shady lanes towards Hobbiton, Holly kept up a non-stop stream of three year-old singing and giggling, twining herself first about Gilly's neck, then crawling over to the sideboard and leaning out to grab at passing branches. Cami had all she could do to keep Nettle's attention on the road and make sure her daughter did not become so excited that she pitched headlong from the wagon.

The hobbit paid little attention to Pio and the twins who were stretched out in the back. Since no noise came from any of them, she assumed her friend was drowsing, enjoying a rare moment of rest from the unending tasks of nursing and tending to the needs of little ones. When they finally pulled up beside Amaranthas' door, Cami helped Bilbo down from the wagon and had Gilly lead him and Holly into the parlor. She stayed behind for a moment intending to climb into the back and wake up Pio.

The twins were nestled near one another, peacefully asleep in their wicker basket with covers tucked in tight. But one close look at Piosenniel confirmed that something was wrong. Her friend's face looked flushed and terribly white, like a bedsheet that had been stretched too tight. Pio lay half slumped over and shivering, leaning her head against the high side of the cart. Yet, when Cami slipped her fingers through the wayward curls that had fallen down on Pio's forehead, it felt terribly hot to her touch. Piosenniel stared up with groggy eyes that did not seem to focus clearly and tried to force her body up, but then fell back defeated onto the hay with a soft moan.

Cami's eye's widened with apprehension. In all their days together on the Star, through all their ragged adventures, she had never seen her friend look so weak. She forced back a memory of Gondolin, when Pio had left her and gone rashly forward to confront a whole army of Orcs, lying mortally wounded in Idril's house. What a fool I am! While I focused on the road and Holly's antics, I didn't see how Piosenniel's wound had festered and now spews its venom into her blood. I wish she had never crossed paths with that loud mouth hobbit at the Inn. Cami found her heart pounding fiercely as she raced up to Amaranthas' door calling out for Gilly to come help her lift the half-conscious Elf out of the back of the cart.

[ May 28, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]