View Single Post
Old 03-20-2003, 06:01 PM   #243
theWhiteLady
Wight

theWhiteLady has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

theWhiteLady's post

Rose Goodchild spent a most pleasant afternoon playing with baby Azra and catching up with Ban and Zira. Abar interjected with interesting tidbits and often made them laugh at his silly stories. Towards the end of their conversation, Rose brought up the marriage of Cami and Maura.

“Cami has been very busy in Greenwood, what with raising the boys and helping the hobbits in every way; she is greatly respected by all and her judgment is given great regard in all matters. Still, I don’t think she is quite happy. At least, she is not joyful. Not like I’ve seen her today. I could scarcely believe my eyes when they laid on Maura and, of course, you all as well! It’s been a long time since I’ve seen Cami’s eyes dance with such delight; they seemed fairly overflowing with happiness. But there is sorrow too.” Rose crinkled her nose in frustration and her forehead creased. “It isn’t fair! Poor Cami, after all she has done! I’m still not perfectly sure I understand everything, but I’m afraid she will pay dearly for this short time she has with Maura.”

Zira’s eyes filled with tears and she gave her young friend a kind hug. “I know, it’s not fair at all. But they have been given a great gift, thanks to Bilbo and Gandalf and that funny man, Lorien , I think. Maura has also been busy, but he can not hide his love for Cami, nor the pain that it has caused both of them. It is strange, and terrible, that such a strong emotion can cause so much sadness as well as joy. This meeting may indeed be bittersweet for them, but as their friends, we should try to make the sweet outweigh the bitter. Some things cannot be helped and it is not our part to change them. Perhaps it will all turn out better than we expect, however. We never know what the future might hold for any of us.”

Azra squirmed in Rose’s arms as Zira wiped away her tears and they hugged once more. Even Ban was blinking rapidly, but he tried to hide it by fussing gruffly at Abar for snatching a warm biscuit from the kitchens.

A few moments later, Pio walked in on the three of them laughing as Azra bopped Abar firmly on the nose. She hurried them off to get ready for Amaranthas’ party and a short time later, they all piled into the inn’s trusty cart.

Pio's post

The two ponies stamped their feet and tossed their manes in an indignant manner. Their evening routine had been disrupted. A nosebag of oats, a gentle brushing, and then tucked into their fresh stalls and left to the scent of sweet straw and the comfort of an old blanket - that was what they expected to happen when Hob strode into the stable. But here instead they found themselves fed quickly, then led out and harnessed to the wagon.

Rose, with Azra in her arms, and Abar were the first to come tumbling out from the Inn, excited to be going somewhere for the evening. They talked over the stories Pio had told them earlier about Amaranthas, and both agreed that she was pulling their legs with exaggerations. The two stood scratching the noses of the ponies as they waited for the adults to appear, and pelted Hob with questions. Hob only smiled when they asked if Amaranthas was as fierce as Pio said, and cautioned them that she did not tolerate ‘woolly pated fools’ well, if at all. And yes, in her younger days she had been known to lay into thick-headed Hobbits who bothered her with her sharp tongue and her heavy stick. Eyes wide, Rose and Abar looked at each other reconsidering their estimation of the Old Dragon.

Ban, Zira, and Pio were the next to come out of the Inn. ‘I’ll sit in back with Rose, Azra, and Abar,’ offered Ban. ‘You two ladies sit up on the seat.’ Hob handed up Zira, and then Pio to the driver’s seat. ‘You sure now you don’t want me to drive?’ he offered, as Pio took the reins.

‘That won’t be necessary. I’ll take the reins.’

Pio grinned and held out a hand to Mithadan, to steady him as he clambered up to the seat. He gave her a wink as he settled in and took the reins from her, ‘I decided I didn’t want to spend the evening looking at the walls of the common room. Besides,’ he looked back at Ban, nodding to him, ‘I couldn’t leave Ban to be the only male at the party!’

‘Whatever the reason,’ murmured Pio as they headed down the lane, ‘I am delighted you will be with me.’

theWhiteLady's post

Pio, with a mischievous glint in her eye, entertained them all with frightening tales of their host; tales which the listeners only half believed. The bright garden surrounding Amaranthas’ home certainly did not look anything like the lair of the Dragon Pio described and Rose mounted the steps, still holding Azra, and knocked confidently on the door.

[ March 23, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]