View Single Post
Old 03-04-2003, 06:36 PM   #108
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sam had been thinking for a while when dinner began. He snapped out of his reverie and went over to his wife, who was sitting in her chair, rocking Hamfast, who had begun to fuss. Rose smiled as he approached, and cocked her head towards the sleeping child. "Are you ready to eat?" Sam asked quietly, slipping his hands under his son to pick him up.

Rose shook her head at Sam's attempts. "I've got him. Yes, I'm ready--help me up, won't you?" She gave her husband her free arm, and he pulled her up. She staggered a little bit, then laughed. "It'll be none too soon when this child comes," she exclaimed. Hamfast woke up at that, but, rested, he simply stared around the room and did not fuss. Rose handed him to Elanor, and went with Sam to the adult table.

Once he made sure that his children were settled at the children's table, he took his own seat in between Rose and Goldberry. He couldn't help but glance over to Frodo, who was speaking with the guests around him. Rose put an hand on her husband's arm. "Torn in two," she whispered, and Sam knew immediately what she meant.

"Always," Sam replied, equally quietly, with a little smile. He gripped his wife's hand.

"Promise me that you'll talk to him after dinner's over, and stop moping," Rose murmured, picking up her fork and pretending to eat. She glanced at Sam, who was watching her not eat. "Lost my appetite," she said as an explanation.

Sam had not, though, and was enjoying the dinner, for the food if nothing else. He spoke with Pippin for a while, as well as Goldberry and Fatty Bolger, while Rose chatted with Diamond and glanced once or twice at the children's table. Suddenly she gave a hoot of laughter, loud enough to make Sam and several of the other guests close to them to turn and look. She pointed to the children's table, and Sam grinned at the lovely mess that was taking place. At least his children were having fun.

"Cleaning up tonight won't be fun," he warned Rose.

"I know that," she said. "But they're having a good time. Let children be children."

Sam shook his head, amused and bewildered, as Elanor poured a bowl full of pudding on her brother's head. "What a party," he said.