View Single Post
Old 02-20-2003, 05:16 AM   #35
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Pio was up early the day of the party, awakened by the sounds of thumping, and bumping and hammering. She threw on her clothes and looked out the door of her rooms, into the Common Room. It was a beehive of activity. And there, in the midst of it all was Cami, the queen bee, herself. She had organized both the Inn staff and the regular patrons into work brigades. And all were busy finishing their appointed tasks – rearranging tables, tacking up decorations, and just generally giving the Inn a thorough cleaning and freshening.

She frowned, looking closely at Cami’s face. Perhaps it was just the strain of having so much work to get done before this evening, but she looked uneasy, and even a little sad. There was no time now to speak with her about what troubled her; there was still too much to be done before the guests arrived. If there were time later, she would seek out Cami and sound her out about what was troubling her. Until then, she gave her friend a little nudge. It will be alright, Cami. I will be here. Let me help you.

Stepping into the bustle of activity, Pio grabbed a broom and feather duster, and began to lend a hand. She worked sided by side with Primrose Bolger, ‘Prim’ for short, one of the servers in the Inn. During a brief break, she invited Prim out to the front porch of the Inn for a breath of fresh air, saying she had something she wished to ask her.

Leaning against the railing, Pio let the cool breeze riffle through her hair. Prim sat on one of the crates of wine delivered but not yet stored that were piled by the door. She had removed the kerchief from her head and sat mopping her brow with it. Pio turned and spoke to the Hobbit. ‘I have a proposition to make you.’ Prim looked up at her, and raised her eyebrows. She had ceased to be amazed by the directness of the Elf, having worked with her for some time now.

‘I will need some one to replace me soon. Tomorrow, if I had my choice about it.’ ‘Replace you?’ asked Prim. Pio smiled, realizing she had once again been unclear. ‘As Innkeeper.’ She sat down next to the Hobbit. ‘Once the babies are born, Mithadan and I will be heading south to Minas Anor. And Cami, too, will be moving on, I think.’ She looked Primrose directly in the eyes, assessing her one more time. ‘I have thought about it for some time, and I think with your personality and good head for business you would fit in nicely as the Green Dragon’s new Innkeeper. What do you think?’

[ February 27, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]