View Single Post
Old 06-25-2003, 01:58 AM   #28
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Stoatie had shoved her roughly as she stooped to grab the basket with the babies’ things in it that stood by the door. ‘Wotcher doin wiv ‘at?’ he growled at her, his words slurring around a mouthful of nasty chew-weed. He spat a foul looking gob on Amaranthas’ floor to emphasize his question.

Gilly clasped the baby boy to her and murmured a few words of comfort. ‘Listen here, Mister Big-Folk, if you’re so set on taking me and the babies, you better have something for me to take care of them with.’ She stood her ground, her knees shaking beneath her party dress, and glared back at the ruffian.

He grabbed the basket and pawed through it with his dirty fingers. ‘Looks like there ain’t no weapons.’ He threw it at her and smirked as he took one of the twins’ little night gowns and wiped his nose with it. ‘Here! You little hole-dwelling rat. Take it and mount up and shut up!’

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

The little girl wailed with rage, her tiny body stiffening against the hurtful grip that held her. Gilly’s mind was filled only with the sight of her precious charge, bleeding and struggling in the hands of the other ruffian. Her throat tight with fear, and eyes wide as saucers, she took her second stand.

‘Give me the other baby, too,’ she said firmly to Shifty, swallowing back the bile which had risen in her throat. ‘She won’t stop crying til you do.’ Shifty looked from the caterwauling infant to Stoatie. ‘Her mother’s an Elf, you know, and quite handy with a knife and sword. If she senses her daughter is in danger she’ll be on you in a moment.’ She looked Shifty straight in the eye, and added for emphasis, ‘She’ll peel the skin right off you while you’re both still breathing.’ Gilly nodded her head solemnly. ‘She’s done it before. Told me so herself.’

Gilly stood her ground and refused to mount the horse. Her hand kept up a steady, gentle rhythm on the little boy’s back and he had snuggled in against her, quiet for the moment as his sister screamed. ‘Best hurry and decide,’ she said. ‘Mistress Piosenniel is only a short distance away . . .’

[ June 25, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]