View Single Post
Old 03-14-2003, 03:23 PM   #393
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Pio: Done.

Helen and Child, I definitely am not in favor of a rewrite along the lines contemplated. I also don't favor the mist of forgetfulness idea. I think its not necessary.

My view is that the Shire is a sleepy
place where things are quickly forgotten. Its a place where books and records of history are rare and an oral tradition is maintained. Within a matter of years this whole debacle will be recalled in folkloric terms as another "Mad Baggins" episode. After a generation or so it will be forgotten.

Knowing the importance of secrecy with regard to the Hobbits of Tol Fuin, the Hobbrim and the journey of The Star in
general, Frodo knows that the only way these events could be remembered is if they end up in the Red Book. Perhaps Sam mentions that Elessar has requested a copy. So Frodo asks Sam not to mention these events in his writings. Sam would surely agree and pass the request on to Elanor. This is in keeping with Helen's "State Secret" approach and I prefer it to the Mist of Forgetfulness. How does that sound?