View Single Post
Old 08-05-2003, 06:28 PM   #175
theWhiteLady
Wight

theWhiteLady has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Laurie sat for a moment, looking at the man before her, uncertain whether or not to continue their conversation. His eyes were tired, but for a moment they had sparked with annoyance; she could easily imagine how they might flash with anger should she press her presence upon him. To her surprise and relief, however, he smiled and extended his hand. “My own name is Caligon and I am a captain in the White City.”

Before she had a chance to speak or raise her own hand in greeting, they were interrupted by a large crash. Twisting in her chair, Laurie was greeted with a strange sight: a very disheveled hobbit covered in what looked like the remnant of his meal, his chair fallen next to a broken mug, and beside it a red-faced server was picking herself up from the floor. Neither seemed injured, just a bit shocked, and Laurie looked quickly at her companion, wondering what he must think.

“Strange place, this,” he commented dryly, turning back around. “Strange, perhaps, but most certainly the best inn for miles around,” the young woman spoke defensively. “I suppose one could call it a crossroads for travelers. Each person who stops here has a tale and each story is as various and beautiful as the leaves upon a tree.” Laurie paused before adding quietly, “Most are sad.”

The two sat for a moment in silence, listening to the murmur of conversation that surrounded them. It had a warm sound, low but reassuring, and occasionally accented by laughter. Laurie closed her eyes, enjoying the peace and companionship found within its tone, and allowed her thoughts to roam for a moment. She was too timid to ask now, but later she would most certainly have to inquire after Caligon’s story. What business did a captain have in the Shire, anyway? It might prove very interesting indeed, if he would but trust her enough to open up.

Caligon’s voice broke through these musings briskly. “Do you know where I could inquire about a room?”

Laurie opened her eyes, a bit startled, and replied, “I am not sure, but that young hobbit-lass who, er, was helping that other hobbit would be sure to know.”

“Thank you,” Caligon rose and bowed to his companion. “It was a pleasure, but now I must seek rest.”

Laurie rose as well, smoothing the folds in her white dress and tucking a stray strand of golden hair behind her ears. “I wish you a peaceful and refreshing sleep then. Perhaps we may speak later and you can give me more tidings of Gondor?”

“Perhaps,” Caligon replied, his smile fading slightly. He bowed his head once more and started to walk between the tables toward the kitchen. Laurie sat back down, watching him retreat across the room. Her gaze was drawn away, however, by a feeling that there was something just a tad bit out of place in the picture before her. It struck her only after a minute’s close scrutiny: the inn itself had not changed, as she had first thought, but there were now very many elves gathered at the bar and nearby tables.

‘How strange!’ the young woman thought. ‘And in the Shire!’ Her eyes could not help but watch their graceful movements and her ears strained to catch their musical voices. The legends of elves, and their deeds, never failed to fascinate her and Laurie lost herself in wonder as she gazed into their ageless faces.

[ August 06, 2003: Message edited by: theWhiteLady ]