View Single Post
Old 08-17-2003, 03:45 AM   #152
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

‘Tell me,’ Husam said quietly, the two dogs loping behind them, ‘did you come alone . . .’

Bemah whistled softly to the dogs walking behind with Nasr. They trotted up, one to each side, their great heads looking up at him expectantly. His hands went down to scratch their ears, and they fell in beside him as he walked along, their stride matching his.

‘Nay. We’ve not come alone. The others are out there, keeping watch. Same as we do for our flocks. Looking out for any beasts two legged or four who dare come after them.’

They reached the flap to Faruq’s tent, and Husam called in to him. ‘Come in, come in,’ came the older man’s voice. Ishak was there also drinking tea with him, and it was obvious from the way small rocks were arranged on a rug placed between them, that they had been going over some strategy for the defense of the two tribes. There were several others there with them, a mixture of warriors who would take the lead against the foe.

Silence fell on the gathered group when Bemah entered behind Husam, along with his two large dogs. Their dark eyes watched his every move and one of the warriors bent quickly over the rug, scattering the pattern of the stones. Husam took great pains to assure them that Bemah was no spy caught sneaking about the camp, but had come a good distance to bring news of the Army of the Eye, and to offer his assistance.

It was Ishak who first offered the villager a cup of tea then bade him sit down with them. The dogs settled in near the opening of the tent where the night breezes would bring them any passing scents - their heads resting on their paws, their eyes watchful of the men in the room. Bemah told of how he and his boys had hidden along the path the Army took from their outlying farms to the valley. They had counted the number of them and the types of weapons they had. And they had marked the leaders of the groups of men as they passed. They are not an overwhelming number for such a combined force as you have, but they are well armed. And many of them seem to be the sort who do not care if they should live or die. But only are drawn toward danger and bloodshed for the sake of the kill itself.

‘I think, having seen them,’ he said quietly to the hushed room, ‘they would not care which side they fought on. Only give them a full belly, ale, and somewhere to sleep, and that will be enough until the bloodshed begins. ‘There is no loyalty in them, except for what is paid for in coin.

It was hard for the tribesmen to understand this attitude. Tied to a deep faith in the way the world unfolded for them; tied to their families and clans and tribes; and even tied to the land and streams that gave them life they could not fathom how a man’s pride could be bought for the promise of gold.

Bemah picked up the stones that had been scattered at his entrance and gave them to Ishak and Faruq. ‘We have come to aid you as we can,’ he said, bidding them show him how they would meet the challenge of the Eye. He picked up a handful of stones for himself, watching where they positioned theirs. When the two tribal leaders were satisfied they had placed them in strategic places, Bemah bent over them and parceled out his few stones, some large and some small, but greater in number. ‘These are the men who have come with me and these, their dogs. ‘Here, here, and here is where we are right now,’ he pointed out, his fingers moving from stone to stone. ‘We will be best used for stealthier work than head-on battle. It is how we hunt the beasts that inflict themselves on our herds. Coming upon them when it is least expected, dividing them, drawing them away from their intended goal.’

Ishak’s eyes glinted at the possibilities. His own warriors would be on horse, the Baobab would be afoot. This small band could tip the favor of the gods their way. He looked up, in time to catch Faruq’s pleased half smile as he surveyed the stones. His eyes caught those of the Baobab leader and he nodded at him.

‘We are glad you will be by our side, so to speak, in this, Bemah,’ he said, offering the other man another cup of steaming tea. ‘Yes, fortunate, indeed, are we to have such friends as you,’ added Faruq. ‘It brings me some measure of hope in these grim days . . .’

[ August 26, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]