View Single Post
Old 05-23-2002, 11:25 PM   #6
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

Littlemanpoet --

Quote:
Whenever I read the sections on Rivendell in FotR, I fnd myself grinning with a little bit of embarassment at Bilbo's crotchety ways and words, sometimes taken aback with the Elves putting up with him so graciously.
Yes, I would have felt that way one time, but not now. I think Bilbo's actions have a lot to do with aging. Of course, he was always a bit crotchety, but it seems so magnified as the influence of the Ring diminishes and aging occurs. And remember that this aging is now taking place at a much faster pace than it normally would have done. It can't have been easy for him.

I have a mom who's 91 and in reasonably good health. Her mere presence on the earth is a real gift so she can be crotchety all she wants! I think Bilbo's in that same boat.

Just remember that those Elves never have to deal with the gift of Iluvatar, and the whole process of aging is part of that gift. So maybe it will do the Elves good to have to see this process happening in someone whom they know and respect. And the fact they are so gracious about it is undoubtedly a reflection of their own high understanding and good nature.

sharon, the 7th age hobbit