View Single Post
Old 08-30-2002, 05:40 AM   #14
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mattius' keen eyes percieved the two elves in the opening and sheathed his blade before making himself fully known to them. He slowly walked to them and looked them both in the eye before talking, Endereth and Calentoliel remained ready with swords up.
"Greetings fellow travellers," he began, "I am Mattius of Minas Tirith and Lothlorien, of Men and Elves." With this the two companions lowered their swords somewhat,
"If you would give me but two minutes, I will return to you, for I left a chance companion some what behind, to keep her from danger should I find it." The two female elves looked more suspicious at this remark but Mattius unsheahed his sword Angmarth and laid it before their feet and then spoke,
"Here is my father's ancient blade, that has cut the face of the Beast, I will return for this, with my companion in a mtater of minutes." The two elves gazed upon him in new wonder, a mighty warrior of Men he seemed, a high captain of Minas Tirith perhaps, yet he had a strong Elvish air about him that they could not ignore, his race was extremly difficult to decipher.
"Then perchance I can discuss the somewhat important matter of the Great Beast that walks in these woods." With that he turned around a walked back to where he had come from. Calentoliel, who was still feeling weak, looked at Endereth, who sheathed her sword. Calentoliel followed her lead before seating herself up against a tree again to catch her breath.

Mattius returned shorty, a hobbit was lying over his right shoulder, asleep, or more likely, unconcious.
"Is the hobbit hurt?" Asked Endereth meaningfully.
"Nay," replied Mattius, "she will be fine in due time, she looked the Beast in the eyes for too long, she will sleep for a day or two and then wake up wondering what has gone on. It is one of its tricks, to freeze prey before attacking it." Mattius laid the hobbit down on the ground next to Calentoliel who was wondering how he knew so much about the Beast, "But nothing lasts forever." He said.

After picking up his sword from where it lay and re-sheathing it he sat down on the soft ground too.
"Come my good elf," he signaled to Endereth, "let us talk for a while, at least until morning." Endereth looked to the dark trees, half-expecting to see the monster jump through that very second. Mattius saw her face and reasured her.
"Come come, it will not trouble us tonight, not after the trouble we have given it." Endereth wasn't convinced and refused to sit. Mattius sighed,
"Belive me, I have hunted the Thing from the Misty Mountains, across Eriador and now past the Ered Luin, it will not attack us this night, I swear to you!" At last a very reluctant Endereth seated herself beside Calentoliel.
"Now," Mattius began, "may I ask you first to introduce yourselves seeing as though I was kind enough to tell you my name, even whilst having your sword's tip's almost upon my chest, and also why you are here, in the un-named forest hunting, it seems, what I hunt."

[ August 30, 2002: Message edited by: Mattius ]