View Single Post
Old 08-27-2002, 06:08 PM   #6
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

The elf turned and she saw a bright flash of cold light as the shadow of the sun reflected off of her blade. Endereth drew her own sword as a precaution. Her opponent was startled. "Who are you, and why were you creeping up behind me like that?" she asked in a flurry. Ender's face was hard. "I did not see you before either, though I walk a straight path. Are you some elven-witch trying to deceive me?"
The woman was angered by being called a witch. "You have a bold tongue for one so young, ranger girl. Speak with a little more caution next time you meet someone you suspect is a... a witch."
"And who are you that advises me, Endereth 'Fireflight' Naurelyr who has wandered the wilds and been called 'wise for my age' by many a traveler I have met, as though you were a teacher disciplining a young child?"
"I am Calentoliel," she said proudly.
Endereth calmed down a bit, sheathing her sword. "Mae govannem, if you call drawing swords on one another being well-met," she said, smiling. "I have already mentioned my name to you. How did you guess that I was a ranger?"
Calentoliel looked Ender up and down, shrugging when she finished. "You certainly look the part," she suggested before they both laughed. But Endereth soon grew grave. "I know you could hear those screams, Calentoliel. I myself am going to investigate the source. Would you be doing the same, walking alone in these forests?"
Calentoliel's eyes were cast down. "I have lost my horse and am trying to find her."
Endereth nodded. "I am loath to say, but your dear mount stands little chance against the black beast that roams this area. None have a chance against its might, not even the rangers," at this point her grief returned, and she fought back tears. "Yet as soon as I find out who has been attacked, I would gladly help you search for her."
Calentoliel smiled. "I will go with you, then. I thank you."
The two elves ran away on their light feet in the direction from which the screams had come.