View Single Post
Old 06-25-2003, 12:49 PM   #226
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

'I know the Mitheithel headwaters well, and of the falls there I can tell you that the rock overhang near the top has fallen into the deep pool at the bottom. But you know of what I really speak.'

Silvanis spoke slow and quietly, well covered by the din of voices at the crowded Inn. Sipping his ale again and gauging Kaldir's face, whose eyes for a moment turned again past him to Benia's door. Silvanis then said,

'I was there ere some years ago, with Halbarad and Elendur, and some others of our bretheren. I remember the ambush... that is until all went black. I awoke nearly drowned in the pool with nary a soul about.'

Silvanis indeed remembered that day, and had found out much later after he walked out toward the west.

'I learned after I was found that there were four lost that day, but only two were found dead, and two were missing...'

Yes, two... himself and one other. Surely this was the other!

'You may or may not remember me as Hanasían'

Silvanis was hoping the names would jar his memory some, but he had also noted that his interest in Benia was more than his admiration of her beauty.

Silvanis took note of the entry to the Inn of a woman who dressed in the manner of the peoples of the far north, and thought it ironic that one from the southlands and the north lands of ice would be in the same Inn at the same time. Taking note that Kaldir seemed to be pondering his words of that fateful day long ago, he could see that his watch was only to Benia's door. Seeing he paid no mind to the laughing Gondorian woman at the table nearby, or any who entered recently, Silvanis guessed his interest was only with her. He was maybe a bounty hunter, though not sent to retrieve the wayward Gondorian. He took a chance and though he would really burdun Kaldir's mind...

'So why do you seek the southern woman? Is the price good? Maybe I seek the same...'

Silvanis hushed as Gilly walked by, surely intimidated but also curious and sensing her friend was in danger. Of course Silvanis would do what he could to help Benia, but sometimes one had to appear otherwise to get information.