View Single Post
Old 06-23-2003, 06:32 PM   #206
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lost in her musings, Vanwe did not at first hear Aman's question. Her words penetrated through her thoughts, and Vanwe swung her head up in time to see Aman's concerned face turned towards her. A startling thought darted through Vanwe's mind. Sometimes, when she had been younger, she would ask questions of the reflection and in her mind pretend she heard the answers. Had Aman heard her speaking to her water?

Vanwe combed Aman's face for some clue, and was relieved to see no hint of something deeper. In her eyes moved a powerful sadness that could not fade instantly, and Vanwe blinked to be sure tears did not threaten.

"Yes, Aman," she replied in a heavily laden voice. She was, afterall, no worse than she had been the day before, and considerably better than she had been a week or a month ago, or a year for that matter. Yet, it lacked the weight to convince the innkeeper.

"I am sorry to have troubled you, Aman."

Vanwe drained her earthern cup and set it back on the bar counter. She slowly stood, smoothing her skirts over her hips as she did so.

"I should see to the horses before nightfall, lest Derufin think me negligent."

With a quick curtsy that she bobbed at Aman with her ingrained elven grace, Vanwe eased away before Aman could question her more closely. In her present state, Vanwe just may answer and she knew from past experience what her answers brought. The common room held the glow of late afternoon, warm and welcoming. She glanced out over it, gaze settling on Silvanis who sat with Kaldir, and there rested for a moment.

Both men nursed foaming tankards of ale, but she was not close enough to hear what they spoke of. The possibilities were frightening enough to push any wistful imaginings far from her mind.

"Aman," Vanwe said as the innkeeper had turned away, "If Silvanis seeks me, could you tell him that I'm in the stables."

Aman looked at the Elven maiden quizzically. Her instincts were such that she well knew when something was afoot, a necessary skill for a horse trainer of Rohan.

"I have some business that I have not been able to settle with him," Vanwe went on to explain.

"Business," Aman echoed as she assessed Vanwe, "If he asks, I'll let him know. Are you in trouble, Vanwe?"

Aman asked plainly and pointedly. Vanwe's facade for an instant melted, revealing a glimpse of her turmoil in her Elven feature so reminiscent of the High Elven house of Finafin. But it was just an instant that passed as Vanwe pushed silken blonde hair back over her shoulders.

"No more than most of us, Aman," she said, "and it is nothing that will bring unrest to you or the inn."

Vanwe smiled, a flash of steely determination laying beneath that. Regardless of what may lay ahead, Vanwe would see to it that no harm came to those who had been so kind to her. Vanwe bobbed another curtsy and left the commonroom in as nondescript manner as she could. It was hard to hide from a Ranger in a commonroom that was uncrowded in a way that did not further draw attention to herself.

Vanwe met the gaze of those newcomers, the inn's vast usual array of people, and seeing no Rangers or soldiers at least, moved on to the stables. As she crossed the yard, her head spun with the day's doings. Evening was speeding towards her, and she had to smooth things over with Lespheria and check on Benia too, to be sure the healing had taken as it should. As she entered the stable, her expression was preoccupied and pensive.

Vanwe moved through the empty stalls to fetch the necessary equipment to stable the horses from the pen and clean out the pen. The rhythmic sound of a knife moving through wood whispered to her hearing, and Vanwe paused. It was familiar as was the scent of freshly cut wood. Her hands moved to the crane that had patiently waited behind her worn and cracked belt.

Her keen eyesight picked out Derufin, who sat carving in solitude. She approached quietly, and watched the blade hover and grip adjust to one not used for carving wood as he glanced up. Derufin relaxed when he saw it was Vanwe.

"Good evening," he said, blowing some shavings away from what he was working on.

"Good evening, Derufin," Vanwe replied. "How are you feeling," she inquired."

Derufin wryly smiled. "Much better," he said as he set his blade to the carving once again.

"I thought I'd bring the horses in for the night, Derufin, if that is agreeable to you."

He nodded his assent, and Vanwe moved closer to the halters needed to lead the horses back in to the stables. With them dangling over her arms, Vanwe made to leave the stable only to pause by Derufin once again. In her free hand rested the crane, wings proudly stretched outwards in glorious flight like the cranes she had seen winging over the wetlands of Gondor.

Hoping that she had not misjudged his homeland from his appearance, Vanwe stretched out her hand. Derufin glanced up to see the crane flying towards him from her palm.

"I thought," Vanwe said shyly in a quiet voice, "that I may be able to give you something by way of thanks."

"But for what, Vanwe," Derufin asked as he studied the rosewood crane.
"For your kindness and generosity," she replied.

Derufin lightly shook his head as he reached to pick up the crane from her open palm, eyes moving to study her face. Vanwe smiled shyly at him.

"I know it is a small thing, and by no means the work of a master, but it is a begininning," she said.
"I will find other ways to thank you Derufin, and prove you right in your trust."

For Vanwe, that anyone had seen fit to entrust her with what Derufin had was a new experience. It was something that she had never been accorded before. She was not sure she merited it, but she was determined to do what she could to ensure he did not regret it. Small carvings did not amount to much, but it was a start.

Falmar snorted by way of impressing his contribution to the exchange as Derufin's fingers traced over the lines of the crane. Feathers had been etched, ruffled by the cool sky at sunset.

"I hope it is to your liking."

Vanwe's cheeks flushed faintly, a delicate rose colouring her skin, and the bridles jingled softly as she adjusted their weight on her other arm. She was utterly out of her depth, unsure of what to do. She had never given a gift before, and a worrying thought nagged at her mind that perhaps she had overstepped her place in doing so now.

As Derufin turned the crane about in his hands to study it, Vanwe supressed the urge to find a quiet place quickly and stood where she was. If she had done wrong, she was not going to run. She had already decided earlier that day that she was tired of running. Her blue eyes were lit with a genuine desire that the crane please Derufin, for it was rare that she did anything to anyone's liking in her experience.
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight