View Single Post
Old 06-05-2003, 02:37 PM   #24
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Aman glanced around the common room quickly as she came to the foot of the stairs. Buttercup saw her, and put up her hand to signal to her, opening her mouth, but Aman shook her head, a well acted regretful expression on her face, and pointed to the kitchen. Cook, she mouthed. Not waiting for Buttercup's reply, she headed into the kitchen.

"You wanted to see me, Mrs Bunce?"

Cook turned, hand on heart and a ladle in her other hand. "Ooooh, Miss Aman, you did make me jump there!" She breathed. Aman smiled apologetically, and was glad to see the cook return the smile. She seemed in a very good mood. She hummed as she bustled about, then snapped her fingers, as if just remembering something, trying to make out she hadnt been eagerly awaiting the moment. Aman waited expectantly, then, as was expected, she asked the question dutifully. "You wanted to see me, Cook?"

Cook leapt on this. "Yes, yes indeed, Miss Aman." She smiled widely, then Buttercup burst in, also smiling.

"Have you told her yet?" She asked breathlessly.

Cook frowned severely. "Well, I was going to tell her, when you burst in like that-"

"Tell me what?" Aman couldn't help cutting in, a little exasperated. Both hobbits turned to look at her, surprised.

"You mean you don't know?"
"Didn't she send to you as well?"

Aman simply didnt say anything, waiting expectantly once more. Buttercup burst out first. "Shes coming back, Miz Aman! She's coming back with the young'uns and all, and her Lord, and we haven't long, she'll want everything perfect, even more so than it was when she left and-"

"Pio is coming back?" Aman was slightly incredulous, but couldn't help grinning. Pio was coming back. "When?"

Buttercup hesitated and stopped, looking at Vinca. The cook rolled her eyes, then turned to Aman. "She's coming here," She pronounced. "in about two weeks."

Aman's jaw dropped. She opened her mouth, thinking to start a sentence, but finally all that came out was a small, worried, 'hmmm'. Cook nodded. "I thought you might say that." Aman looked sharply at Cook, suspecting that that was not complimentary, but Cook pressed on in her businesslike fashion. "I'm surprised she didn't tell you. Was that letter not from her? Or maybe she sent a letter, then it got lost in the post, and- oh ho, whats that then?"

Aman had pulled the now crumpled letter from her pocket, and inspected the familiar writing on the front, before slitting it open with her thumb with ease. She scanned it, then lowered it and smiled sheepishly at Cook. "I...she...well, she did tell me. Sorry Cook."

Cook raised an eyebrow, then rolled her eyes, sighing exaggeratedly, but good naturedly. "Oh, Miz Aman, what are you like?! Well, as you may have guessed, that is another reason why Cami is on a campaign to get the attic sorted. You have looked, I presume?"

Aman winced and nodded grimly. "Yes we...well, explored might be a better word."

Cook laughed. "Well, we shall talk later on about all of this. Currently, there are more customers who need attention. I believe some of them may need rooms, and a few will be checking ou even, hopefully at least."

The still slightly sheepish Innkeeper nodded. "Yes, Cook. Later, then."

Turning, she left the kitchen and into the Common Room, subconciously assuming as she did so the air of confidence which Pio had possessed before her and which now slipped on easily.