View Single Post
Old 01-15-2003, 09:14 AM   #42
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Bethberry,

First, I have a strong suspicion that 99.9% of the bagloads of wooden "treasures" that Pettygast rescues from the jumble sales will be quite ordinary things. He does have a way of consistently getting things wrong, although he thought that Fruit-giver told him to "reassemble the pieces."

But just what are those "pieces" --pieces fashioned out of wood, pieces of a tale, pieces of a magical spell, or something we haven't even considered yet. Pettygast has made certain assumptions from his dream that the "pieces" are synonymous with the bowls, cups, etc. that he saw. But are they? I have no idea.

Also remember that Pettygast doesn't only get his spells wrong. He gets other things wrong as well. That includes grammar, spelling, and dream interpretation. Was that really Fruit-giver, or a false sending of some sort?

And let's not forget the vexing issue of homonyms. As far as I know, there is no "s" plural for "peace", but are we sure that Pettygast understands that fine point of grammar? Or, perhaps, it was the Middle-English "pees" he actually heard.

In short, if I were sitting at that Council table, I would be hesitent to accept the wizard's words at face value unless there is some corroboration. Perhaps, the existing entient piece has some feelings on all this?

sharon

[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]