View Single Post
Old 01-13-2003, 08:49 AM   #265
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The sweet strains of a song were floating over the camp as Andreth sadly made her way back to where Bird and Holly were seated. Her own thoughts spun back and forth from the conversation she'd had with Nardol to the ominous words that Gandalf had spoken to her. Neither seemed to bode particularly well. She found the two women still waiting on the return of Bethberry who had not yet finished her healing rounds.

Holly arched her eyebrows at Andreth's approach, and glanced quizically over at the red-haired girl. "Why did you have to give the book to Gandalf? Perhaps, we could have found out more from another in our band. He's keeping his hand well hidden."

Andreth nodded in assent. "That's true. I wish he'd share more of the meaning with us. But I didn't know where else to turn. The wizard at least cares what will happen inside those gates.

She went on to try and justify her choice, "Bethberry has more proficiency in the dwarvish tongue, and would find the translation of this book to be a real challenge."

"And the Elf--do not even mention him to me. He is mired in sadness. I have tried without ceasing to break through to him, and I will keep trying, but I think his grief is too great to pay attention to such a trifle as this book, or so he would see it." Andreth wondered whether the Elf could possibly care about anything beyond his own dark tale.

Then she shook her head and went on in a gentler tone, "But I think we should not be so quick to jump on him. The things he has witnessed are beyond my understanding, and perhaps that of anyone in this company. And what is most puzzling to me is why he stays in Middle-earth, since it brings him so much torment. I don't think that even he knows the answer to that."

She smiled sadly at them, "In any case, you two needn't worry that that his particular anger will fall on your heads. Rightly or wrongly, it is the Chidren of Men, my people, whom he blames for his plight."

There was a silence, for suddenly the dark and unknown forest and what lay beyond, so near at hand, made itself felt as a great brooding presence, full of secret purpose. After a while Holly spoke again.

"Did Gandalf tell you anything else of the book, or what will happen inside the Castle or its grounds?"

"Very little." She shook her head. "Only that I bear a greater risk that any by going inside, and it's possible that I may be unable to find my way out. I may indeed be trapped there. But that, if I act bravely and wisely, I can do some good that others would not be able to do."

Andreth looked beseechingly over at Holly. "I'm so sorry. I would like to stay near you and Bird as we approach the Castle, but perhaps you'll feel more comfortable if you don't get too close to me. I tried to ask the Elf for help, but..." Andreth curtly shook her head and tried to compose herself. "He did not respond to my plea."

She drew her head up and said with all the dignity she could muster, "I will understand if you ask me to go my own way."

[ January 13, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]