View Single Post
Old 01-09-2003, 03:11 AM   #246
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Holly shrugged her shoulders at the questions asked her. She sipped at her mug of tea, looking over the rim at Andreth and the Elf who had asked them. ‘My guess, and let me emphasize guess here, is that we will be leaving sometime today.’ She swept her arm in a semicircle, taking in the camp as she did so. ‘That, at least is what I would do, were I organizing the journey. But then I’m not, am I?’

She nodded in the direction of Gandalf. ‘It’s the wizard you should be asking. Though that again might be tricky – sometimes one does not get the answer to the particular question that is asked, but rather to one the wizard feels is more important at the moment.’

Five pairs of eyes stared at her, brows furrowed. Elves, Woman, Hobbit, Ranger looked at her as if she had just spoken in Khuzdűl, the ancient tongue of the Dwarves. A definite cry of ‘What?!’ shown in their faces.

Bird burst out laughing at the disconcerted group. ‘She’s trying to tell you she has no more of an idea about the answer to your question than you do!’ Bird chuckled and looked at Holly. ‘She gave you a tricksy answer!’

Holly looked at the Elf who had commented on the state of the wounded. ‘I do know that the wounded should not hinder us if we decide to go. The Ellf’s leg seems well enough, and Volondil is healed enough to be up and about, though for the majority of the journey, he will need to ride a horse. Poppy is fit, deemed so by Gandalf, it would seem, when he handed her the sack of gold coin and made her bearer of it into the Castle.’ The Elves, somewhat satisfied by the answers, returned to their breakfast.

Olo, Holly, Bird, Volondil, and Andreth, huddled around the small cooking fire in the chill morning air, each of them intent on making their own toast now. Tea, honey, jam and a few slices each of Shire cheese rounded out their fireside breakfast. They were for the most part silent, listening to the camp noises as the other companions awoke, and to the satisfying hiss and pop of their fire as it browned and crisped the bread held over it on forked sticks.

Gingerly taking the hot toast from his stick, Volondil spread a thick layer of jam on it. He took a big bite and chewed on it, thoughtfully, staring at the fire as he did so. ‘You know,’ he said, breaking the silence with his words, ‘although I’ll be able to walk on my own two feet into the castle, I don’t think I’ll be much use should it come to defending ourselves. Perhaps I should stay back from entering the castle.’ He looked toward Holly, and frowned.

She nibbled on a piece of cheese, and smiled back at him. ‘Don’t worry about that, Volondil. I don’t see you actually entering the castle.’ He sat back and folded his arms across his chest, waiting for her to go on. ‘In fact,’ she continued, ‘I really see no reason why any of us should enter the castle – at least through the front entrance with everyone else.’

Holly picked up a stick and drew a crude diagram in the dirt. ‘All of the attention of the inhabitants of the castle will be here, in the Main Hall where our party is to enter. Now it’s my understanding that there is a large garden around somewhere to the rear of the building. At least that is what I understood when I happened to overhear a conversation between Bethberry and Gandalf.’

She drew a line round to the imagined garden. ‘Where there’s a garden, there is usually a way in to the kitchen near it – that’s the way I propose we go in, while the ghosts’ attention is focused on Gandalf and the others and especially on the sack of gold. Volondil, I thought perhaps you could stand look out near the garden area. Bethberry will be there, and you both could shout an alarm to us should any one chance to come that way.’

Bird shook her head. ‘You have no idea what’s out by the garden do you?’ Holly smiled, saying, ‘Not really, but it’s worth a try, isn’t it? And besides, you’re with us, Bird. Can’t you do a little scouting for us once we reach the castle grounds?’

Holly smiled ingenuously at her friend. Bird rolled her eyes. ‘Another one of her damnable schemes!’ she thought to herself. She sighed, resignedly, already picturing herself flying high above the castle and its surrounds. ‘Perhaps this one would work out . . .’

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]