View Single Post
Old 01-09-2003, 01:56 AM   #245
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Anna had waited a moment in the middle of the cell staring at the woman. She looked quite miserable, crouching in the corner with her head on her knees. No matter. Soon she'd no longer be miserable. It occured to Anna to wonder what would happen to the woman's mind when Anna took her body, but the thought didn't bother her long. If it didn't happen, she would die. This was just a way to extend her life.

She approached slowly, vaguely aware that Calimiel had turned away from the bars and was watching her, eyes speculative. Anna had crouched in front of the young woman, about when run her hands across her face, when Calimiel's voice sounded behind her. It was weak, but held the promise of later strength.

"I underestimated your duplicity, Anna. Didn't Celumëomaryu win your contest?"

Anna turned and frowned at her friend, then concentrated and produced a faint whisper, the first words she'd spoken in centuries.

"I didn't know myself I was going to do this until a moment ago. Still, it seems one of us should have known. How long have we been ghosts?"

Calimiel shrugged. "A long time."

Anna nodded and turned back to the girl. She touched her face, then slowly allowed her substance to suffuse the empty places in the prisoner's body and mind. If she'd remembered the sensation, if she'd ever had it, she'd have said it was like sinking into honey. For a moment she felt trapped, then it became more comfortable as she began to remember the sensations of life. She caught a fleeting thought before the girl's mind fled and became Anna. It was "Linea", her name.

She rose from her crouched postion in the corner and looked around. It was very dark, and...cold...in the dungeon. The ghosts needed neither light nor heat, so there were no torches lit.

The smell of the meat and herbs in the middle of the floor was tempting, but the way those smells combined with the decayed odors rising from the dead prisoners was unpleasant and she avoided the food for the moment. The girl had eaten anyway and the body wasn't hungry.

She approached the bars and stood near Calimiel, looking out. She stuck her arm through and realised her body was almost thin enough to fit between them. Not quite though. Ah, well, the Butler would be along to open the door soon enough.

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]