View Single Post
Old 12-22-2002, 04:37 AM   #192
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

‘Oh, I think I am ready now to mount up.’ Volondil replied to the other Ranger. He looked about him, his eyes lighting on a small, flat topped rocky outcropping near the edge of the camp. ‘Bring Mornen over here.’ he directed Alearindu, as he clambered up on the rocks. Alearindu spoke softly to the horse and bade him stand very near where Volondil stood, waiting for him. With a small gasp of pain, Volondil reached for Mornen’s mane and pulled himself over to the patient steed’s back.

His face pale, he managed a tight smile when Alearindu asked if he were alright. ‘I am.’ he said through clenched teeth, willing himself to relax. He managed a small laugh, saying, ‘You have just had the rare privilege of witnessing the most ungraceful mount of my life!’ He took some deep breaths, stretching the muscles he had tightened against the pain. ‘Let’s hope this is the worst of the ride.’ he murmured to himself.

They started down the road, following a short distance after the Hobbits. He had watched as Bird and Holly carried on a conversation, and seen Holly’s exasperated smile as she watched Bird fly off. ‘Now there is an interesting pair of friends.’ he thought to himself. ‘They give each other a lot of room, but I’d hate to be the one who threatened one of them.’

He shaded his eyes and looked up into the bright sky, searching for Bird. ‘It would be pleasing to have a friendship like that.’ he mused. ‘One that even when you were apart, sustained your spirit.’

[ December 22, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]