View Single Post
Old 12-20-2002, 05:19 AM   #167
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Splitting the air like a thrown dagger, Wyrd careened down out of the sky, his talons nearly slashing the hand that held the curry brush as he knocked the brush out of Nardol's hand. Surprised and shaken off balance, Nardol could recover only by placing his entire weight on his injured leg. He grimaced in pain as he swore at the bird and grabbed onto Rustal for support.

Nardol's concentration lost, Bethberry suddenly appeared on the other side of Rustal and began speaking quietly to the horse, but not touching him. Then she turned to Aislan.

"I am glad to see you suffered no hurt when you tumbled, Aislan. As you well know, given your great knowledge of the animals, a horse that is so careless of people around it is not reliable. Let us hope that our safety is not compromised by Rustal or we should be forced to let him go."

With that remark, Bethberry ducked down under Rustal's head, this time patting him, to appear on his other side where Nardol was, picking up the curry brush as she did so. She handed it back to Nardol, looking at him directly and holding his gaze. She spoke loudly, in a public voice.

"I came to see if you needed something for the pain in your leg or if you were intending to let the pain worry you and thereby feed your misery." Then, lowering her voice so only he could hear, she advised him, "Teaching an animal your fell mood is cruel abuse of the animal, Nardol. Don't go there." Speaking again more loudly, she said, "Willow bark and other herbs will work well. You are welcome to some should you wish."