View Single Post
Old 12-19-2002, 01:54 PM   #162
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Holly opened her notebook and took up her pen. Before dipping it in the ink, she scratched her head with the end of it, thinking how best she might accomodate these two levels of knowledge.

'I don't think I'll go into a long explanation of the tengwar, the characters used to write in Elvish.' Let's think of this more as a code we need to be able to recognize should we come upon it.' She wrote on two diffrent lines, in large script, the word 'Laurëondo'.

'This first one,' she said, drawing the qull feather along under it, 'is in the kind of writing called Fëanorian script. The word is written out by how the different parts of it sound.' She ran the feather under the second word. 'This is written in what's called the Beleriand Mode.' She pointed to each symbol - see how each letter that makes up the word is represented? It looks longer than the other way I wrote it, doesn't it?' They both nodded their heads, 'yes'. 'But really, it's the very same word.'

'I think we'd better be on the look out for these words, too, just in case Maladil has gotten tricky somehow in his hiding of the deed.'

She wrote out the following words and letters: gold, stone, 'L', and 'O', using both scripts. She quickly recopied the page, giving one to each of the Hobbits. 'Why don't you just look these over for today, and we can review them tonight. Perhaps you should find a place on yourselves where you can keep them hidden and safe. Any questions or suggestions, let's go over them tonight when we camp.' She smiled at both of them. 'Any quick questions now, before we have to be on our way . . .?'