View Single Post
Old 03-30-2003, 01:03 PM   #212
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

Suddenly, the elves of the company drew their bows as one. As the others watched in surprise, a volley of arrows flew up the side of the mountain. Several cries were heard. An elf that was closest to the wall grasped his knives and began to ascend the face of the mountain. The others waited for what he would find, knowing that enemies had been spotted; and perhaps slain.

But when the elf reached the plateau, another cry was heard. The elf, a long knive plunged into his chest, fell down the mountainside and crumpled at the bottom.

Yelling with fury, Burzdol launched several more arrows at the clift. But the enemy was gone.

Saddened by another loss of life, so near the end of the pass, Bali ordered the company to pack up and leave the area immediately.

They travelled for the final day of the snowy journey on a safe path, and came out into the sunlight of the eastern plains safely. Everyone was relieved that the journey through the Caradhras was over. They spread out over the small hillocks, praries and forests nearby, and returned to the camp laden with fresh fish, fruit, and meat.

Around the meal, Bali addressed the group, giving them a general outline of the remainder of the journey. "From here on, its nice and easy. It is about four weeks straight march from here to Erebor. The land is flat, with plenty of streams and forests. Provisions will be plentiful, especially at this time of the year. Then comes Mirkwood. Elves, there are, but not enough to hold back the evil that has always dwelt there. We will have to be careful, as the woods are filled with spiders and orcs.

And then, after our long and tiresome journey, we will reach Erebor. When we see the state of it firsthand, we will know the best way to defend it.

From here on, I will lead you. I know these paths quite well, for I have travelled them often. Tomorrow morning, we begin the final stage of this journey to Erebor. Get some rest, for you will need it."