View Single Post
Old 02-21-2003, 04:55 PM   #75
Carrūn
Wight

Carrūn has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Awrygan was in a foul mood, even fouler than usual. He had not managed to sleep in several days and had pressed on a a fairly rapid pace. Frequent night chills had left him sneezing and he was developing a bit of a cough. Moreover, a deer had bolted passed him across the road and had torn a rather large hole in the side of his cloak with its antlers. Things could be worse. I could be dying and the creature could have torn skin instead of fabric. Always looking at the bright side of things, eh? That's me. He grinned at his own joke. The sun had risen and was shining brightly, and the activity of the wildlife could be heard in the distance. His journey was almost over. "A fine day to die," he commented aloud.

Coming up over the next ridge his words caught in his throat. He sank to one knee behind a small set of bushes and for a time remained completely motionless, waiting and watching. The stench of burning pitch was thick in the air. Away to the South the harbor of Dol Amroth was smoldering. A few shrill screams rent the air, but were quickly silenced.

The weathered man's green-eyes blazed red and he stood slowly. A few yards from him lay a motionless figure, a single shaft protruding from it's back. Kneeling down, Awrygan turned it over, revealing the face of a guard in the livery of Dol Amroth. Glancing past him the man saw the crooked path where the man had ran, and then eventually crawled to bleed his life out on the small bed of rocks. Putting all feelings aside Awyrgan picked up one of the stained rocks. Wiping his finger across it he examined the blood which was nearly dry but still had a small amount of liquid in it. He ran his finger under his nose and then briefly across his lips.

One should not lay forever under the Sun. But I cannot spend proper time to dig a fitting grave. Dragging the man behind a grove of trees Awrygan piled what dirt was readily availible over the corpse and then proceeding to stack several large rocks on top of it.

Pulling his cloak about him and drawing a knife from his boot he slunk off down the hill towards the City. I had best wait until cover of darkness before I get too close. Perhaps I will find someone who can tell me more of what has transpired.