View Single Post
Old 02-17-2003, 03:42 PM   #57
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Lhingril smiled to himself as he heard the King Elessar calling him and hurried to obey. "Yes, my Lord?" he said, giving a bow. "What do you wish of me?"

"The Prince of Dol Amroth will be arriving soon," replied Aragorn. "Everything seems to be ready, but I need your help for some last minute arrangements."

"Of course, my Lord," said Lhingril. "However, perhaps it would be better to discuss it over a drink. I shall get some wine." He left the hall.

The King sat rather impatiently, waiting for his advisor's return. He hadn't slept well; something had been bothering him. He felt as though some danger was drawing ever closer. I pray that my family may be safe, he thought.

There was the sound of a closing door, and Aragorn looked up to see Lhingril with a goblet in his hand. "Some wine, my Lord," he said smoothly, sitting down. "Now what did you wish to discuss with me? Last minute preparations, I believe it was?"

"Yes," said Aragorn, taking a sip of his wine. "Do you have any suggestions?"

"Well, my Lord," said Lhingril, sitting back and looking about him. "I think everything is done wonderfully, but the banquet hall… it seems as though it wasn't cleaned properly, and some other things that are of great importance, if you are planning to have a feast."

Aragorn stood up. "I'll take care of it at once," he said, but with weariness in his voice.

"No, no! My Lord!" Lhingril pushed him back down. "Please, allow me to take care of it. I can see you are weary. You should get some sleep while you can…"

Aragorn suddenly felt drowsy, looking into his advisor's eyes. And he was tired. All those hours in the night had dragged on, instead of slipping carelessly by while sleep took prisoner its victim. And perhaps it was best to sleep before the Prince arrived. He sank back down into his chair. But no, something wasn't right. He couldn't sleep now. Who were those men entering the hall, coming towards him? He struggled desperately to stay awake, but darkness took him.

Lhingril gestured to the men. "Take him away, quickly!" he said. "Do not let anyone see you! The King must not be rescued." He turned to the door. "I must go to the Queen and detain her. I overheard her telling her husband she would be joining him shortly. Now, go, quickly!" He himself half ran to the door to find the Queen. She must not know.