View Single Post
Old 02-14-2003, 02:44 PM   #48
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yr Saldan signaled his ships to fall in behind him as they sailed into port at Dol Amroth. The furled their sails and threw ropes to the waiting hands on the quay to tie off the lead ship as it glided near the landing. He had arranged for the other ships to drop anchor in the small bay, and for their ‘merchant’ captains a two or three men to row in to the quay. He did not want all his ships tied up, like trussed pigeons, should they be found to be other than they seem and an alarm sounded.

‘What brings you in this evening?’ asked the Harbormaster, eyeing the ships and calculating to himself how he might get a fine, fat ‘present’ if he smoothed the way for these obviously well off merchantmen.

‘We have heard there are new trading opportunities open since Aragorn has become King and there is peace in the land.’ spoke Yr Saldan to the officious little man. ‘We have come in haste, bearing gifts and merchandise from the South, hoping to have an audience with the Prince concerning trade relations between our countries.’ He jingled the heavy purse at his belt. The eyes of the little man lit up at the sound of clinking coins. ‘It would prove quite profitable to the one able to secure us a visit with the Prince to discuss these matters.’

The Harbormaster sighed. As luck would have it the Prince was gone out of the city, to see Aragorn in fact. ‘But, I can arrange a visit with you tomorrow evening, if you wish, with the Minister of Trade.’ He looked meaningfully at Yr Saldan’s purse. The captain fished out a small gold coin and slipped it to him with a wink and a thank you. ‘There’ll be another when you come to bring us to the audience tomorrow. We will await you on board.’

Khazdifir drew near and whispered in his ear. ‘Ah, yes! My First Mate tells me the men would appreciate the hospitality of one of your taverns this evening. Can you recommend one or two?’

The Harbormaster directed them to a number of establishments just north of the quay who catered to sailors, then bid them good night. He hurried off to see the Minister of Trade as fast as his fat little legs could carry him.

Once back on the ship, Yr Saladan called for the captains of the other ships to gather round. ‘I want you and several of your men to visit the taverns along the quay. No one is to get drunk or start any fights. This is strictly information gathering. Spread some money around. Buy some drinks. Loosen their tongues. I want to know how prepared this city is for a surprise attack. Have many of the guards left the city to travel with the Prince to Minas Anor? Are the ones who are left grown lazy with the new peace and can be easily overcome. Find out all you can for me, then come back and report late this night.

He looked out over the railing at the peaceful city. ‘We will make plans then, and when my party enters the city’s seat of government to speak with the Trade Minister tomorrow night, we will attack then.’

Khazdifir handed out small bags of coins to the sailors and captains going ashore. ‘Say little.’ he said to them. ‘Only what will get them talking, then listen closely to all they say.’