View Single Post
Old 02-08-2003, 12:14 PM   #20
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

It was night in Gondor. Stars were shining softly in the sky, and it was a full moon. All of Minas Tirith lay in a deep slumber except for one man. Aragorn, the King Elessar, stood on the balcony of his bedroom and gazed out over his city. Something had disturbed him from his sleep.

As he stood he did not hear the soft footsteps behind him, but he knew his wife, Arwen Evenstar daughter of Elrond, was watching him. "What do you fear?" she asked, taking his hand.

"I do not know," he replied, but he did not look at her. "Something is disturbing me, though I know not what."

Arwen looked grave. "I have been troubled as well," she said. "But as long as you are near I do not fear what dangers may draw close."
Aragorn turned to her, taking her face in his hands, and looked lovingly into her eyes. "If danger does come, I will try to fulfill the trust you place in me." She smiled gently at him. "But I fear you will not need my help, though danger will come."

"You then believe we are in danger?"

"Even as we speak. I cannot tell what lies ahead; I have not that power. But I can feel danger drawing closer." His hands dropped to take both of hers. "Arwen, if some evil misfortune befalls me, know that you always have my love, and that I entrust the ruling of Gondor to you **and Eldarion**."

"Ar le him garmelen," the Queen said softly. "An anann im padacae sen... ar ab."

And you shall always have my love. For as long as I walk this earth... and after.

They left the balcony together, and the night wore on. At last the first rays of the morning touched Gondor, and as Aragorn awoke, he knew he had placed his kingdom in worthy hands, if evil should befall him.