View Single Post
Old 02-06-2003, 12:21 PM   #16
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Eäris walked into the pretty bed chamber.
“Asta” he called softly, but his oldest daughter was not in the room. He walked over to the cot where his baby granddaughter lay asleep. Gently he picked her up.
“Typical woman. Never around when you need them. I’m leaving to go home, and my daughter has disappeared! Not like you, my little love. So, will you miss your Grandpapa darling? He’ll miss you lots and lots and LOTS! And your Mama. Why she had to marry someone from this outlandish place I’ll never understand. I’ll be very glad to get home. If only you could live with us! I’ll have to convince Mama to repay this summer visit. She’ll miss her friends in Gondor, I know it.”

The baby stirred in his arms and opened her eyes.
“Hello Linde” said Eäris and span the baby round. She gurgled. “You’ll remember Grandpapa when he goes away won’t you? And if your father…” he pulled a face and she gurgled again “if your father ties to tell you I’m a grumpy old man, you won’t believe him, will you?”
“It’s the truth though, isn’t it Linde” said a voice at the doorway “Grandpapa is a very grumpy old man indeed.”
“Ssh Asta” returned her Papa. “You’ll give Linde the wrong impression of me.”
Asta snorted.
“So where were you anyway Asta?”
“Taking your son downstairs to get ready to leave. You should be down there too Papa.”
“I know, but I’ll miss you and the little one so much.” Eäris sighed. He would not have admitted such to anyone but his oldest daughter. “Linde is such a lovely good child.”
As if she had heard the praise, unwarranted by her usual behaviour, Linde began to bawl.
“Oh dear” said Eäris, and the two exchanged a rueful glance.
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link