View Single Post
Old 02-15-2001, 02:11 PM   #17
amyrlis
Wight

amyrlis has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Animated Skeleton
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Describe the 1st time you read LotR.

I posted this previously in another thread, but thought it fit here too. I am yet another who got hooked while in my teens.

It wasn't until I was a freshman in high school and my twin sister was in the play The Hobbit (she was Oin!). She got hooked and started reading the books and was always talking about them. So, I decided to give them a try. I was an instant fan and began delving for all things Tolkien (ah, if only the internet existed 15 years ago - 15 years! dang I'm old!) I honestly can't remember if I've ever read The Hobbit front to back, but I've read LotR a few times (and just finished it again last month) and the Sil at least twice. Just starting to read UT for the first time now. I had to let go of Tolkien while in college, engineering school doesn't allow much time for leisure reading. Not to mention that my sister scoffed up all our Tolkien books when we left home. But now I'm back on the bandwagon! And I'm very glad to find a forum dedicated to this stuff. Honestly, my sister is the only other fan I know in 'real life'.

I think it's because I'm like Samwise in that I'm just fascinated by elves! Of course, when I was first exposed to The Hobbit, I was under the impression that elves were green, funny-looking people, similair to how they are depicted in the cartoon Hobbit. But, I was so much more intrigued by them when I learned their true guise. Then, when I read the Sil, I was just blown away by Tolkien's version of the creation of Earth and I love the Valar.

Also, Tolkien's writing style is just so beautiful. There's nothing to compare it to. Like I mentioned, I've read several of his books twice, and have never been disappointed or bored. Even though I know the outcome, I am still moved by it. And I always notice something new. In all the other reading that I've done, there is only one book other than Tolkiens' which I've read multiple times. I think that says something.

-amyrlis</p>