View Single Post
Old 02-11-2003, 01:06 PM   #16
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

THUMP! At the sound of a crash Telpeheled span around.
“Who’s there?” he asked, hand straying to his sword. Life in the Golden Wood was getting dangerous in these days. Never before had evil dared to pass it’s borders, but now, who knew. No response came to his query.
“Who’s there?” he asked again.
As there was no answer his cheerful face set into determination. Moving forward, silently and gracefully as befitted an elf, Telpeheled kept a wary eye on his surroundings. Swiftly he followed the direction of the noise. Out of the corner of his eye he spotted movement in the undergrowth, far to his left. He advanced.

Suddenly he ran to the bush, setting an arrow to his bow as he moved. Pulling apart the strands he found his bow pointing into the startled face of a young elf-woman.
She smiled at him. “Telpeheled?”
“Alantuviel, what are you doing here?”
“Would you believe I followed you?” she asked him, raising an eyebrow.
“Really!” he exclaimed enthusiastically.
“No.”
“Of course” he said with a smile, trying not to show his disappointment. He could tell she was laughing at him, and had no wish to increase her mirth.
“Then pray tell why you are here. This is my duty, you know, and I must account for all…intruders.”
“Intruders?” she asked, affecting a hurt look. “I merely heard from your brother that little Telpeheled had been appointed as a guard, and I may tell you I scarce believed it! Yet here you are, and so diligent at your duty I find. Why I remember when you were but a child, you would follow me around all day! May I not now return the favour?”
Telpeheled eyed her sceptically. “You must leave. The wood is no safe place for a lady after dark.”

Without a backward glance he turned from her and began again his patrol. Initially his hurt and embarrassment showed itself as small mutters, and occasional kicks aimed at the woodland foliage, but after a short period of time his natural content returned.
“I wonder how Milendiel is?” he thought with a smile. “She is FAR more beautiful than Alantuviel anyway.”

After he had been relieved of his guard duty Telpeheled made his way back to Caras Galadhon. He paused to look at the city in the distance, and as always, his heart rose. "I'm so glad to be able to protect this place", he thought to himself. "I just wish I could do more..."

Inside the gates, he overheard two elves having a conversation.
"Did you hear about Anuion? They are calling for a rescue party. Bordarigorn is at the Lord's quarters."
"Yes, indeed. They call for those willing for certain death, I believe."
"I do not think that the situation is yet that awful, but truly it is dangerous."
"I take it you are not thinking of going then, mellon?"
"No, for I forsee that battle will not neglect the Golden Wood when it comes..."

Without waiting to hear more, Telpeheled turned his steps towards Lord Celeborn's dwelling.

Soon enough he found himself sitting in a chair opposite Bordarigorn and defending his reasons for going on what seemed in his heart to be a foolhardy quest.

"So why" asked Bordarigorn with a keen stare "do you think you should come on our mission? What skills do you bring?"

Telpeheled could feel himself being sized up, it was a feeling he knew well.
'Why do people think good humour and fighting skill are mutually exclusive?' he wondered.
Aloud he said "I can fight, I can use the bow and arrow, I do not fear death and, who knows? Although you may despise it now, you may yet need to be cheered up one day!"

Bordarigorn smiled grimly, without a trace of humour. "As a quality I do not despise cheer. But I have never yet heard of it saving someone's life. You are neither the most experienced, nor the most talented of the city guards. You must offer me more than humour, mellon."

"I know yrch, how they behave, how they think. Once when I was young and foolish I became bored of city life and left Lorien. I wandered towards the Misty Mountains, and had reached about half way there, when I was surrounded by yrch. They took me captive. For three weeks they held me, I watched them and learnt. I discovered they do not understand loyalty, obedience. It is possible to suggest to one that the other is tricking him, that superiors are favouring one above another, anything which does not serve their own interests. By this manner I eventually escaped, although I must tell you I slew sixteen with the point of my own sword. When I returned to Caras Galadhon there was astonishment at my tale, no-one would believe me. But the Lady galadriel saw me, proclamed my honesty and foretold that I had a purpose which she didn't understand... I believe it may be this."

Bordarigorn looked thoughtful. "I have heard of this" he murmered to himself. After a number of minutes he looked up and smiled more genuinely. "Guard Telpeheled, you may have convinced me. Savour the feeling, it is rare. Understand that I will watch you closely throughout our journey. I have one final question. You say you do not fear death. Are you sure?"

Telpeheled smiled a dazzling grin. "Indeed no, my lord. Rather I believe death should fear me. For my humour would disturb the peace of even the Halls of Mandos!"
A chuckle escaped Bordarigorn, startling Telpeheled.
"You may be right" said the ranger, smiling. He clapped Telpeheled on the back.
"Welcome" he said.

Telpeheled left the room. He closed the door behind himself.
'For better or worse 'tis done' he thought.

As he turned to depart, he heard another elf ask "Durelin, forgive me, but--what did the man say to you? What are we to do?" Curious to see exactly what he had become involved with, Telpeheled went over to the two elves.
"I also would be grateful to learn, for I am to be one of the party. Telpeheled is my name. What are yours?"
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link