View Single Post
Old 01-02-2004, 12:49 PM   #80
Mercy of the Valar

Sting

Cadorsa turned back to the counter and wound one of her fingers around her short fair hair. She had cut it when her father had died as a sign of mourning. Her dark clothing also gave away the fact that someone close to her had passed to the gods. A funny pair they made, she thought, we must look laughable, a mounring woman and an elf maiden.

Cadorsa wiped the last of her bread around the empty bowl of stew in front of her and looked over at Sindahir.

"So, Sindahir," She said, setting the uneaten bread in the middle of the bowl and looking over at her companions with curious green eyes, "What were you doing here?"

The Elf considered the question for a moment, "Well you see, when Elves get tired of being in Middle-Earth they leave. Thats what I was going to do only I got a letter from a friend of mine named Legolas." Cadorsa's ears perked at the name, Legolas? Where had she heard that before?, "He said that he hoped that the letter would reach me before I left. He also said that he wanted to tell me something and that I was to go back to Minas Tirith,"

Cadorsa nodded solomnly, still trying to remember where she had heard that name before, "Did he say anything else?" she asked, bringing her hands together on the counter and staring at her fingers.

"Well," Sindahir shifted in her chair nudging closer to Cadorsa, as if she had something to say for her ears only, "He did say something but I'm not going to say here."

"Why?" Cadorsa questioned.

"Lets just say," Said Sindahir, edging closer, her voice going very low, "I may be royalty."

Cadorsa's eyes widened and her mouth formed a small 'o' of astonishment, "Oh my," She breathed, "Royalty?"

"Shh," Said Sindahir, "I shouldn't have mentioned it,"

"But how?" Cadorsa asked, turning her attention to the room as to seem as casual as possible.

Her voice went low as she explained the story of her family and lineage and Cadorsa sat with listening ears and casual eyes as the elf recounted.

"So you see?" She ended, taking a drink from her mug, "I may be a princess."

Cadorsa gave her a look from narrowed eyes, "Princess? Did you not say that your family has been killed?"

Sindahir's eyes went wide, reminding Cadorsa of the sun, large and revealing, "Queen," She said just below a whisper. She drew her breath and luaghed a bit sitting back in her chair, staring at the counter in shock at the thought.

Cadorsa drew away from her and took a drink from her own mug, tasting the bitter ale as it slid down her throat and warmed her stomach.

The sudden realisation that they had just had the conversation in a public house hit the two maidens at the same time, and Cadorsa put her head in her hands.

"Do you believe anyone heard our talk?" Sindahir asked looking around the room slightly.

Cadorsa did the same and shook her head, "I think i'm going to have another ale," She said, setting her mug down.

They soon found, however, that someone had heard their words...

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:15 PM January 02, 2004: Message edited by: Mercy of the Valar ]