View Single Post
Old 04-09-2003, 10:20 AM   #276
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

‘We did not come soon enough. Shadow had reached its bony fingers out to us and taken what we held most dear.’

Derufin’s face was set hard against the raw emotions his words had recalled to him. The muscles of his jaw worked to push them away, and she watched as his drew in measured breaths to calm the threatening storm.

When, at last, he had mastered himself, and the mask of calmness was restored, she took the hand he still held and cradled it against her cheek. ‘Come sit with me in my front room, Derufin. My back is aching from this unyielding chair,’ she said, giving him room to be solicitous of her comfort as she offered a space away from prying eyes.

He stood and offered her a hand up, nodding acceptance of her offer. ‘Thank you, m’lady,’ he mouthed as she rose. Calling to a passing server, she asked that Ruby be told she was retiring for a while, and would she please handle the Inn business for now.

‘Bring me a little more tea, if you would,’ she asked as she settled herself into the soft chair before the window, her legs propped on the stool before it. ‘And get yourself something, too, if you wish.’ He gave her a half smile and a brief bow.

‘I do wish to hear the rest of your story, Derufin.’ Her grey eyes regarded his face as he turned back to her from the door . . .