View Single Post
Old 01-22-2003, 12:25 AM   #196
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Quote:
'By the One, Camelia Goodchild! What did you think you were doing now?
Cami cleared her throat, and wondered how to respond. She had initially intended to slip in the back way so no one could put their nose into her business. Only now, half the visitors to the Dragon were congregated about her, listening intently for her answer to Pio's question. This was not good.

For one minute, she envisioned concocting a fancy tale to explain away her reckless behavior so that all these folk would go home and leave her in peace. But somehow lying did not seem like a good idea. She was about to make one of the most important decisions of her life, and starting it with a giant fib didn't seem right.

Yet, still Cami hesitated. There is an ancient custom among hobbits that certain things are officially kept secret until after the ceremony occurs, and, even then, couples may go off for two weeks or more, leaving behind no address. Cami was a great respecter of tradition and was not about to break with the past.

"I'm sorry Pio. I can't tell you anything now. I have a good reason, but it's private!" At the back of her mind, she added, There are too many folk here to discuss all this. Wait till later and we'll talk. She hoped her friend had heard and understood.

One of the female hobbits leaned over and whispered a few words to the other. Then she giggled and called out, "Camelia Goodchild, keeping secrets? That's very suspicious. Are you finally getting married?"

Despite the soot and grime, Cami held her head up high and walked away from the crowd, heading towards the kitchen door. As she went to pull it open, she impishly turned about and yelled back to the two giggling figures, "If I was, you'd certainly be the last to know!" Cami slammed the door with relish, and went upstairs to draw a bath, singing merrily as she went.

[ January 22, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]