View Single Post
Old 01-14-2003, 01:28 PM   #29
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

"Of course we'll pick up the tab, and Samwise's children will come as well." whispered the Hobbit, trailing off at the end.

Pio nodded her head as Cami spoke to her, her mind only half on the Hobbit’s words. ‘I should have saddled Rochfalmar and ridden south myself.’ she thought to herself. ‘The answer will be so long in coming.’ Distracted, she put her arm about Cami’s shoulders as they walked back to the Inn.

The Hobbit could scarce believe her good fortune. Pio had agreed! And without so much as a frown or icy stare. Cami chattered on merrily, relishing how her plan for the party had thus far gone smoothly. Her enjoyment was short lived.

As they entered the Common Room, thoughts of the letter receded from the Elf’s mind to be taken up by the numerous details of daily life and commerce at the Inn. Pio stopped abruptly just a few feet from the door, her hand tightening on Cami’s shoulder, bringing her to a sudden halt. She turned the Hobbit to face her.

Pio’s words were low and clipped, as she recalled the content of what Cami had proposed in the courtyard. ‘Banazîr and his thirteen children, along with Bilbo, Frodo and Rose will be our guests . . . our guests!’ She stared icily at the now silent Hobbit. ‘What were you thinking Mistress Goodchilde? I have just gotten this place back on an even footing. We can scarce afford the staff we have at present. How will we pay the extra staff needed to put on the sort of party Master Bilbo will be expecting. Had you remembered that tomorrow is the cook’s day off! We cannot serve up warmed over stew with a smile and a basket of day old bread and call it a party!’

The Elf sat down heavily in a chair, her left hand rubbed at her forehead, the beginnings of a headache pounding behind her eyes. She took a deep breath, willing it away. ‘And look at this place? It needs cleaning, and decorating, if we are to have a party.’ Pio pointed up to where the spiders had festooned the rafters with their webs and silky streamers.

Her hand came down to rest against her belly. The twins were active now, sensing their Mother’s frustration. Shh! Your ammë will take care of it. she sent to them. Pio pulled the small purse from her belt, and fished out two gold coins. ‘Mithadan sent these for my “ease”, as he put it. And I feel the need for some of that ease at present.’ She placed the two coins in Cami’s hand and closed the Hobbit’s fingers securely over them.

‘I will be gone this evening to Amarantha’s house for a long dinner, and perhaps I shall stay the night. For now, I am going back to my room to rest. The entire party and its preparations, I will leave entirely to your capable Hobbit hands.’

Pio got up from the chair and walked slowly back to the bar. She turned, a half smile creasing her face. ‘Best get busy, Cami! Your task is at hand, and the time for its completion grows short. Good luck!’

[ January 14, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]